Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

question about proper shocks for heavy long haul. thanks

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by SDJeremy, Jan 20, 2014.

1. SDJeremy

SDJeremy New Member

Hi everyone, I recenty aquired a 1994 suburban 2500 with a 454 G80 axles,
    4x4
    So far everything on the truck is solid. The shocks are the only weak link I have found. I don't know
    Much about what type of shocks are good for load handling, as I've never owned a rig like this before.
    I am looking for a shock that will perform well with a 6k load. This truck is my san diego ca to flagstaff az rig.
    I am planning a trip to my cabin next month and am pulling a trailer that weighs in at 6k loaded.
    The auto store recomended kyb monotubes, and my desert rat friend recomended bilstiens.
    I want to install the correct shock the first time. Please let me know what you would use.
    Thanks
    SSG Posey
    1/75th Ranger Regiment Airborne.
    Retired.
    Rangers lead the way!!!
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I would use a good set of air shock or coil over shocks. Stay away from Gabriel or Monroe. Spend the extra coin and go for kyb or bilstein
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Bilsteins are awesome. I have a set on my truck and it has never rode better
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Bilstein shocks are considered the best by most for these trucks. My 96' Tahoe has Bilsteins and even with 205,000 miles they ride smooth and hold up under load. This summer I'm replacing my old shocks with new Bilsteins.

BTW if you are looking for load leveling in addition to shocks you should look in to Roadmaster Active Suspension it works with your leafs to prevent sag while loaded and better distribute the weight to the axle. Heres a link to their site. http://www.activesuspension.com/
  5. SDJeremy

SDJeremy New Member

Update. I spent the money and installed bilstiens. I love them. Well worth the 79.99 a shock. Thanks for the advice. The only other item I am unhappy with is the factory head lights. I have been looking into doing a hid conversion with the ballasts and adapter harness. Any tried and true brands you reccomend for this? Thanks again.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

you get what you pay for. That's a sure fire thing to remember. Glad to hear you like the bilsteins!