QUestion about rust

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ResOps, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ResOps

ResOps Member

Rust on New GMC Front Bumpers

Hi All,
    Got my new Sierra Crew back in September '09 and we're almost done with winter for this year. Now the question....
    My front bumper has about 6 rust blooms on it :grrrrrr: I know I live in an area where road salt is used but would I be wrong in asking for the bumper to be replaced? I thought I'd take a small poll here before heading in for my 10,000km tire rotation next week.
    ~Res

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. tnhusker

tnhusker Rockstar

With such a short time and so new a truck I would mention it. They might replace it for good customer relations and reputation. However I don't know if it would be a warranty issue. There is no harm in asking.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most corrosion warranties only cover for rust through, but as new as this truck is I'd certainly mention it to them and kick up a little fuss.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X2 on what TBPLUS10 said, I have only ever heard of them replacing parts when you can physically see through the part. When we bought our 05' 2500HD it looked perfect, and then after one winter the frame was completely rusted BAD! They told us that because it was surface rust it didn't count towards warranty work, we did the whole frame in POR-15 and then they really had a fit! :happy:

5. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would take it in and try. I noticed some rust on the frame of my 08 1500, took it in a couple weeks back. They cleaned the rust off and undercoated my frame all under warranty. Never hurts to try.

6. CHEVYVANMAN

CHEVYVANMAN Rockstar 100 Posts

yes i would, my van's chrome bumpers are rusting too from the inside out.

7. ResOps

ResOps Member

Tx guys,
    I was taken back when I learned it was assembled in Mexico - I never had a new truck show rust after only 5 months so I will be raising a fuss.I go in for my rotation this week and will share the results

8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would definitely cause a fuss. After 5 months that is BS that is is rusting already

9. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I hope they take care of you thats total bs you have rust on a new truck, keep us posted!

10. Silverado84

Silverado84 New Member

Be nice to know what they'll do, I've got some rust showing on my 09 Silverado Crew on the front bumper...took it in the other day for an oil change and they said the next time the body man would take a look at it. I had some rust on it a month ago and washed it off with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser but now it looks worse...pretty disappointed considering we only bought it in October. I'll be replacing the chrome bumper with a plastic it if this keeps up. They said it would be under the 60 000km new vehicle warranty...fingers crossed next time I go into the deal in April. I did get it undercoated at the dealer when new but they said surface rust isn't covered under the warranty.