1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

question about tire size and speedometer readings

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by CMS, Aug 14, 2010.

1. CMS

CMS New Member

I just bought a 1999 4.8 Liter Silverado and I am taking the 3 inch body lift off my truck and keeping the 6 inch suspension lift but ive heard you can lower that about two inches with some kind of key so basically i am going to have a 4 inch suspension lift so my questions are...

What is the biggest tire I can run? I currently have 35's on a 9 inch lift and i dont want that big of tires. I am wondering if stock wheels would look too small on the 4 inch lift.

And... how bad will my speedometer be off if i decrease tire size from 35's to whatever you all recommend? I was told by the previous owner the speedometer was calibrated to run the 35's and have the correct MPH. whether thats true or not i dont know
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would just leave the 35's on if u only lower 2 inches !!!! hell....i had 33's on my burb with just tweaking the torsion bars and 2 inch blocks in the rear !!!

So 7 inches should be plenty of room for 35's........to the stock tires ...HAHAHAHAHAHA , dont do it ..looks more then goofy !
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would step down to 33s if you really arent happy with the 35s... And you can have the speedo recalibrated or else buy yourself a programmer that will allow you to recalibrate it yourself, as well as add more power and fuel economy.
    There are a ton of threads about programmers here on the site if you are curious.