question about tire size and speedometer readings

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by CMS, Aug 14, 2010.

1. CMS

CMS New Member

I just bought a 1999 4.8 Liter Silverado and I am taking the 3 inch body lift off my truck and keeping the 6 inch suspension lift but ive heard you can lower that about two inches with some kind of key so basically i am going to have a 4 inch suspension lift so my questions are...

What is the biggest tire I can run? I currently have 35's on a 9 inch lift and i dont want that big of tires. I am wondering if stock wheels would look too small on the 4 inch lift.

And... how bad will my speedometer be off if i decrease tire size from 35's to whatever you all recommend? I was told by the previous owner the speedometer was calibrated to run the 35's and have the correct MPH. whether thats true or not i dont know

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would just leave the 35's on if u only lower 2 inches !!!! hell....i had 33's on my burb with just tweaking the torsion bars and 2 inch blocks in the rear !!!

So 7 inches should be plenty of room for 35's........to the stock tires ...HAHAHAHAHAHA , dont do it ..looks more then goofy !

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would step down to 33s if you really arent happy with the 35s... And you can have the speedo recalibrated or else buy yourself a programmer that will allow you to recalibrate it yourself, as well as add more power and fuel economy.
    There are a ton of threads about programmers here on the site if you are curious.