1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about trailer brakes...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Barnettamb, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

I have a question about towing our 3038e john deere tractor. Unfortunatly my dad drives an 09 f150 four door with the 5.4 L v8. The tractor weighs 2, 175 pounds and easily fits onto a uhaul car haul trailor. would we need trailer brakes if we were only taking it down the highway about 50 minutes with little braking.
  2. Last time I rented a Uhaul car trailer, they were VERY picky. They looked my truck over with a scrutinizing eye, checked my tires for cracks and they checked my brakes as well as all my lights. It's going to be up to them really, If they don't catch the fact that you don't have a brake controller. Good luck!!
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This depends entirely on your state's laws. In NC (where I am), for example, brakes are not required on trailers with less than 4000 lbs ... and even then only on one trailer axle if the trailer is a one or two axle trailer. (Three or more axle trailers must have brakes on all axles.) If, however, I took the same load into TN, the law there requires trailers with 1500 or more lbs to have brakes.

So, check your state laws to find out if you must have a trailer with brakes for the load you intend to tow...

4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Yes, the Uhaul car carrier trailers all have surge brakes so you don't need anything special on your truck.

Laws do vary from state to state but in most jurisdictions you need trailer brakes of some kind for anything over 3,000 pounds with a few states having lower limits.
  5. Kady

Kady New Member

Just as an FYI to anyone... If you want to rent any kind of trailer from U-haul, don't show up in a Mountaineer or an Explorer... They WILL NOT rent it to you.
  6. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

thank you for all of the responses. they were very helpful.