1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Question about tuner

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by nmc2010, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nmc2010

nmc2010 New Member

So i have a 2006 Duramax with the lbz. I'm lookin to get a tuner for it. I've been searchin around and I've found one for a pretty good price i was just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on it. whether its a good tuner or not worth spendin money on. its a Diablo sport predator tuner. any thoughts are greatly appreciated

2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

The Predator tuner is a very solid device with quite a few options for tuning options, however Diablo is replacing it with the new iTune system. In order to keep up with the most current updates in the future, I would give the iTune a closer look. Good hunting!

3. nmc2010

nmc2010 New Member

well i'm kinda stuck at a crossroad here to be honest. i'm lookin hard into these tuners but im not sure i can afford the more exspensive diablos yet which is really makin me think twice about it. theres several upgrades i wanna make to my truck but i dont have the money for them all.. now i'm really lookin into installin a leveling kit because #1 i found a rough country 2" for 130 bucks. its comes with the keys and brackets. i'm also looking into cow pushers(grille guard) and cosmetic things aswell as exhaust mods. i havent decided whether i wanted to go looks or performance first. thoughts?

4. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well, I'd look at the modifications in either a "need" or "want" light. For instance, the first mods I put on my truck after purchasing it were side steps, bed liner, and tonneau cover. I do a lot of traveling and have vertically challenged family members, so these were pretty much needed! As much as I would have loved to go straight for the cosmetic and performance upgrades, I needed to start with the mods that were more pressing for my needs from the truck. Now if there's nothing overly pressing that you need for your truck, I'd say go performance! Nothing like a high performance truck that looks stock!

5. saguaro

saguaro New Member

You might try craigslist for a tuner if you live in a larger city (inventory) and can check before buying. Hang in there for the right unit at the right price. Be careful for 'VIN locked' units that won't work on more than one vehicle (the sellers). The manufacturer can help you there.

6. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Look into efi live. It's amazing. It takes a little more work than a plug and play tuner but you get 5 different tunes. I just installed mine and was averaging 22.5 mpg hwy.. If you just want a canned tuner, I would get a PPE. They would be my 2nd option if you really didn't want to get involved with efi live even though I strongly recommend it.