1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question & Answer Section (like Yahoo! Answers)???

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, May 13, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a new module I've been looking and (and wanting for a long time) that gives a lot of the features of Yahoo! Answers. Anyone interested in helping try it out?
  2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'd be interested in contributing. I doubt I'll have too many questions to ask to something like that but I'll try to contribute.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've never used Yahoo! Answers. (I don't use Yahoo.) What's the goal of the application? FAQ creation or somesuch?
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

type almost any question on Google and one of the top ten listings will be on Yahoo answers. Its a very quick and easy way to ask a question, and then everyone gets to vote on the top answers and they get ranked. So, the benefit is that its just answers to the question at hand, all of the chit-chat is cut down and users "vote" what is the most relevant.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Willing tester here
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'd have tagged your name but I worry the tag to it is still FUBAR, so I quoted, instead. Thanks for the explanation. I'm about to think 'aloud' so bear with me, as this is stream of consciousness.

It seems to me that you'd need to create a lot of content .... potentially even copying existing content into this from, say, the How-To section. I think that'll be your bottleneck, as content creation takes time and is arduous. Worse, if you are copying content into it from the How-To section you'd need to remove it from that section to avoid duplicitous information ... and that might hurt your Google rankings unless you also have some kind of plan to do a 301 redirect from the old How-To to the new location.

Thinking out of the box, wouldn't it be wiser to have a sort option based on a thread's star rankings ... so people could sort on it to see what's most relevant? (Edit: There's be no need for content creation, content copying, or 301's with this approach.) Similarly, have you done an analysis of your star rankings to see if people tend to vote/rank things, here? I'm betting they don't...

Food for thought...
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would be willing to test it out also!