1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

question bout brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by countryss, Oct 17, 2009.

1. countryss

countryss New Member

hey guys not on here much but have this question and thought this would be the best place to get a answer.
    ok so i have a 1987 chevy 1/2 ton truck 4x4 reg. cab long bed making a mud truck out of it got 3/4 ton axles under it here's the problem goin to us 15in. rims and know they wont clear the front brakes and the way around that is to ground down the calipers.
    any other input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wheel spacers may work.
    I'd probably look at bigger wheels though, larger sizes are very popular and prices have come down.
    Grinding the calipers for me wouldnt be a prefered option, you already have close quarters, whats gonna happen when you stuff all that mud in there? Just sounds like a situation to create issues.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are the new axles 8 lug? Good luck finding 15" rims in 8 lug.
  4. countryss

countryss New Member

yes they are 8 lug and i already have the wheels. just got done mounting them today the caliper do hit very lil not much grinding needed and yes i'm just going to grind them, now that they are mounted i see how lil needs to come off. tbplus10 have you ever looked at the calipers on those axles they are thick as hell