GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question on PSI/Beach Off-Roading

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chevyson, Jun 5, 2013.

1. chevyson

chevyson New Member

I plan on taking my 2500HD to the Outer Banks this coming up weekend to drive on the off-road beach. Two questions:

1) When I have gone down with my Jeep, I dropped the PSI down to 15 to 20. What do you suggest or have done with your trucks?

2) I'd like to buy a mobile air compressor, as the closest gas station charges for air, and with all the trips we plan on doing, I'm not paying for air, any suggestions?
  2. nonnieselman

nonnieselman New Member

what tires are you running? i know most your 10 plys dont do all too great aired down like the 6s and 8s.. but i havent been playing in sand much :D

i use a air comp from walmart.. think its made by SLIME? it works in a pinch. I also have a small comp i use for my helper air bags i can "T" into if a sure nuff pinch for some air.
  3. chevyson

chevyson New Member

Stock 18'' that came with the truck, 2013 year...
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

i reccomend a PSI to match your rim size as the lowest...
    15" rim, no lower than 15
    18" rim no lower than 18

otherwise you can pop a bead and be walking... im hoping to go to pismo soon myself X)
    i was just out in the desert sand dunes, and thats what we did for our trucks. 16, 17, and 18 rims/psi and no one had problems
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I go to that beach a fair bit. To answer your question about airing down. I don't. The sand is usually packed enough that airing down isn't mandatory. I know I am going to take flak for saying that but that is what I do. When we went last year for a week I let some air maybe down to 25psi or so. But when we left the beach for the day I aired back up and never let any out when we went back on. That was with the stock Bridgestone's that came on the truck. The only thing to remember is if you start to bog down in the sand to stop, back up a little in the rut you made and drive forward again. Easy on the gas and you won't have any problems. As a side note one thing to remember is help others out if they are stuck cause you never know when it may be you! Have fun and stay away from the wild horses.
    Oh and for compressors I installed a Smittybilt compressor I picked up from 4Wheelpart.
    2012-08-04_01-45-50_763.jpg