Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Questions about headers ~ 2009 Silverado 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RyanGoldthorpe, Mar 30, 2013.

1. RyanGoldthorpe

RyanGoldthorpe New Member

Hey there I'm a newby at this, but I have a 2009 silverado 5.3L 4x4. I want to get shorty headers. Will this affect the computer at all? Will I get trouble codes? Will I need a New Tune? Anything will help, tricks and tips to install would help as well too.
    Thanks!
    RYAN

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You Should have No issues, with your Computer or Trouble Codes, as Shorty Headers, are for the Most Part a Direct Replacement of your Exhaust Manifolds, the down-side with Shorty Headers is the Gains are Small, as compared to the Gains Received from Long Tube Headers......I would mention, that using some
    Penetrating Oil on the Exhaust Manifold Bolts, beforehand, to help with Removing the Bolts.......Also Be Careful, when Removing and Installing the Bolts, as you have Aluminum Heads.

Check out the link below,
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic..._long_headers/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!!!

X2 what Mike said, longtubes are better, but you would have to rework the whole exhaust, and tuning only helps to get your money's worth out of the headers.

4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hope you will not be offended by my reply...you will not see any significant gain in perf with shorty tubes. The factory tubes are already tuned for the vehicle, and flow very well. I would hate to see you spend the minimum of $250, likely much more, and not see any real improvement in performance.

If you know a good exhaust man, you could get the long tubes to work fine, but it will not be cheap.