1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Questions about towing

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by cehler73, Jul 16, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. cehler73

cehler73 New Member

I just bought a 2007 Suburban to tow our toy hauler up north. I got a 4X4, with 4,10 gears, but it is only the 5.3L and we are under the gvw at about 13,900 pounds. We were going up the hill towards payson, AZ and we were floored doing only 25 mph. After that very depressing trip we quickly added a K&N cold air intake and a performance catback exhaust. We tried it again with no more luck than the first trip. Does that sound like the right kind of performance? The dealer seems to think that is sounds about right?!?! Any help from anyone would be much appreciated!
    1 person likes this.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Little V8, large heavy trailer, ya that sounds about right.

323 cubic inches is really not a big tow vehicle. What the hell were you hauling?

6,000 lb truck from a 13,900 = 7,900 lb trailer. Even with a 350/5.7L engine it would be working on a hill. It would be moving faster but not much.

Who recommended this combo?
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow! That is heavy combo. What is the torque/HP rating on a 5.3 these days?
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You must have a BIG toy hauler because I have towed our 24' Weekend Warrior lots with her 2001 Suburban W/5.3, CAI, and 373 gears without too much problem. Slow going on the hils for sure but I bet a Hypertech programmer will give you a little more muscle. Here is the Hypertech Dynochart for your Suburban.
  5. Grynder

Grynder New Member 100 Posts

I know the route you speak of. My wife and I travel it a few times a month with a 9000 lb load. The hills your talking about are not your avg. "hill". These are mountains he's climbing ! Even with our 2500HD, 8.1 L (496ci), Allison auto and 4.10's were still only doin about 45, the same as the turbo diesels on the road with us. The performance your getting from your 5.3 is normal and I dont think any mods you throw at it are gonna give you what your looking for with that load. You need a diesel or some major cube's. You already have the deep gears, I wouldnt go any deeper unless your running a 33" tire or larger which it doesnt sound like you are. Not putting down your truck but thats just way too much load for yer rig and the "hills" we run up to Payson.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was just looking at the figures, what happened to burbs, and their towing?!
    Doesn't look to me, like the '07 model year is particularly a good year to own a burb if you intend to tow anything.
    I'm sure this is a result of GM trying to squeeze more mpg out of the burb, but how depressing. No wonder the OP (original poster) is having so much trouble towing, even if you are towing up mountains. Burbs have always had power to spare past the max tow limit, I suspect that the tow limit is right up to the max, and there's nothing in reserve for power.

Those HP and torque figures aren't too impressive either. Too bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to put your burb down, but I think you'd have better luck towing with a '06, or like Dwill suggested a hypertech programmer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Caveat emptor

I did a stint at an RV dealer and unfortunately some salesmen will sell you a rig that you really don't have the capacity to haul safely. A friend of mine bought a travel trailer to tow behind his Explorer that ended in disaster. The right front tire blew out and things got out of control. The trailer ended up a pile of aluminum confetti. Thank god no one got hurt.

Remember that if you had trouble hauling it up the grade, going down the grade isn't much safer. You have a lot of weight behind you that can overload your brake system and brake fade can be fatal.

Just because the 'math' says you can tow it, doesn't make it safe. Decide what safety margin you feel comfortable with and buy accordingly.

A load that is at the extreme limit of a vehicle's towing capacity puts strain on the driveline and the brakes, so service them more frequently than you normally would. The idea is to make it back alive from those vacations.
  8. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree those are some wimpy numbers from the 5.3. (Although I wasn't going to say it out loud) Bring back the real HP engines...I need a minute here fellas, I just felt a tear for GM....:frown:.....Ok I'm good!
  9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sorry, maybe my opinion didn't come across too tactfully.:redface:
  10. terry0341

terry0341 New Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Sad but true!

I have an 07 Burb with the 5.3 and just pulling a uhaul trailer with about 2000 lbs in it seemed like a little work. It hauled it fine but you could tell it was on there. I did not buy mine to haul big loads but for what i need it is plenty. The power on hand with no trailer is a little slow but is definatly there if you need it.