1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Questions on 4wd conversion kits

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by seanobryant, Jan 6, 2012.

1. seanobryant

seanobryant New Member

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a 4wd conversion kit because I love to go offroading but my truck is only 2wd and I do not have the money to buy another truck that is 4wd. So I have a few questions about them. I really dont know anything about them, just that they exist.
    1) do they work as well as a true 4wd, if not what is the difference
    2) are they mechanically sound and wont fall apart easily
    3) are they even worth it
    4) like I said, I dont know anything about them so if someone could give me a good description please
    5) what are some good brands and price ranges (links if available, please)
    Thanks!
  2. PearlWhiteLTZ

PearlWhiteLTZ Rockstar

I dont really see the point in it. The cost and time it takes to convert a 2wd truck to 4wd in my opinion just isnt worth it. The conversion kits I've seen are more for converting IFS to a soild axle. (thats worth it if you are doing serious off road or a huge lift) I think ORU makes a few kits. I'd imagine you are in the $3000+ range for the parts alone.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The money spent on a conversion, at least $3000 for parts will easily cover the cost of a decent play truck then leave you your present truck as a dependable daily driver.
    I'm just guessing but I suspect your mechanical ability is not even close to whats needed to accomplish a job like this so add at least another $3000 to the cost for a shop to either do the job or finish and repair what you've already done after you find out your in over your head. $6000 total, probably more after you add in all the suprises.
    Go out and buy a mid 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4, their cheep, under $2k for a decent one, easy to work on, relatively dependable, easy to find aftermarket upgrade parts and OEM parts.
    Theres quite a few clubs that cater to them and off-roading them so the info on how to build it up cheep is out there.
    They make great starter off-road vehicle that can get you into the sport and competitive for a decent price.
    And if you find one needing a little work you can learn as you go.
    Look for something basic, i.e. manual windows, and the 4.0 ltr in-line 6, automatic would probably be better than the 5spd manual but that's personal preference. If it has body damage dont worry they just put the first dent in it for you so that anxiety wont be there when you hit the trail, plus it makes it easier to justify hacking the fenders out when you decide to go to new taller tires but cant afford a lift.
    Google Jeep Cherokee or Jeep speed and you'll see the posibilities, I'm not trying to chase you away from the sport or Chevy trucks, Chevies are great off-roader trucks but if your looking for something to learn in and beat up a little why not explore something that'll be cheaper on you in the end.
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2. The fab work involved is pretty heavy. Unless you are a seasoned welder it would be something better suited for someone else. Remember you are talking about not only your safety but the safety of others around you. If you get it wrong the results could be real ugly.
  5. Beornls

Beornls New Member

X3... Had a friend that tried this route a few years ago. Always better to either get a stock 4WD and build up from there, or get a "play" vehicle as noted above. I'd check first too, there may be even some legal/liability obligations you might have to fulfill with such a conversion? Better safe than sorry!