1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

questions on carb, tranny, and steering

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 83Truck, Jul 24, 2013.

1. 83Truck

83Truck New Member

Hi guys im new to the forum and I just picked up a new 83 C15
    as with most older cars I need to do a few fixes and need some opinions/options

Truck as it sits:
    350 v8
    edelbrock cam of some sort
    holly 4barrel
    1" phenolic spacer
    edelbrock intake
    camero headers
    205 tcase
    700r4 tranny
    16/38.5-16.5 Super Swamper
    3"lift and 3"body lift

Problems:
    1.The steering is complete crap on it as for the bigger tires. I was looking at definitely puttin some 31x12.5-r15 on the truck as to restore some handling as when i turn the steering wheel its all up to me as to where the tire placement remains.
    Is there any way to tighten this up for the mean time?
    2.The holly 4barrel it came with shoots gas out of it like crazy when cold and near stops when warmed up but still has dribble. People ive talked to said this is usual with hollys. I was told its a dual float/dual pump carb around 750cfm btw i have electric fuel pumps on the truck.
    Is there any way to fix this or should i opt for an edelbrock?
    I was also lookin at runnin a 2barrel around 600cfm if i could find to add gas mileage for a period time while i get the smaller tires on it. Any suggestions here?
    3. This is the last and most major problem that i have at this point in time and need to fix this the soonest
    I bought the truck and when i was sittin there lookin at it idling the wife noticed some atf drippin at the xmember but a new radiator was just put in so i kinda blew it off...drove the truck home and she noticed a puddle under the truck and upon inspection have found that the 4bolts that hold the tcase to the tranny adapter have been stripped from there holes and that the xmember is the only things holding it into place.
    My machinist days long ago tell me that i can drop the member, pop tcase out and use a helicoil set to rethread the holes and go about my business.
    So my question is has any buddy used this and how well did it work?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Holley can be fixed but itll need a rebuild kit and longevity before this problem returns is undetermined, I always had better luck with Edelbrock.
    Due to the primary jet size a two barrel wont increase but will decrease fuel mileage normally.

Check the mount bolts and frame around them at the steering box, not uncommon to hz ave frame cracks that cause issues like this when running larger than stock tires on the 1/2 ton trucks.
    there are kits to repair the frame if this is a problem.
    Also check the drag link for play and to make sure its parallel to the ground, normally any lift will throw it off and create bump steer and wandering issues.

Ive seen stripped tcase trans bolts before and also seen Heli coils be successful, Ive also seen them fail.
    If I was using Heli Coils I certainly wouldnt use the truck for extremely agressive off roading, maybe mild trail crawling.