1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

questions on some headers

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GMCZ71, May 6, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

i'm rebuilding my 1996 5.7 and was goin to put headers on instead of the stock manifold. i was wounding if they were worth the money considering i'm keeping my cats and crossover pipe.

any opions will be helpfull

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yes they are worth the money. It will give you more power. Edelbrock, flowtec, and Pacesetter all have great headers.

3. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

i concur w/ silvy junkie, they are well worth the money. i have shorty's with stock cats and they definitely increased the throttle response and added a little hp. not as much as i would like versus the hp gain on a long tube set up. i'm content with the shorty!

4. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

thanks guys. now another question, is throttle body spaces worth it. i've heard that they suck but i've also said that they work good

5. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

thanks guys. now another question, is throttle body spaces worth it. i've heard that they suck but i've also heard that they work good

6. Silverado Junkie

They make a noticable improvement on throttle body equiped motors(95 and older). It wouldnt help yours because you have a vortec(96 and newer) and vortecs have sequential fuel injection. So save your money and put it towards the cost of the headers your were talkn about.

7. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

thanks silverado. i've also considered borein it out .30 but was nervous about the tranny. the truck has almost 220k miles and nothin has been replaced so the trannyand block is the original. would that be somethin to keep thinkin about or should i just rebuild it and just put headers on. is the power gain worth it

8. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

my step-father said that with headers you have to keep tightening them cause they wont stay tight, is that true?

9. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

10. Silverado Junkie

Yep, locking header bolt or even Locktight would work.