1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

questions on straight pipe

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by RowdyZ71, Dec 9, 2010.

1. RowdyZ71

RowdyZ71 New Member

hey fellas, i was just wonderin if anybody out there was running or have seen anyone else runnin straight pipe dumped under the bed of the pickup. right now i have a Flowmaster Original 40 Series, single in/single out and it just aint quite loud enough fer me but i dont have the extra cash to re-do the whoe exaust system. so i was thinkin bout just choppin off the flowmaster and dumpin it right there, i just dont know if this would cause any complications. i have a 2010 1500 Z71 ext cab standard bed. whats yalls thoughts on this? thanks in advance
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Im not to up to speed on the new 5.3L but my 02 Z71 with the 5.3L didnt have any issues and was loud but sounded good.. But the new ones may need more back pressure.. im not to sure.
  3. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI New Member 100 Posts

My buddy had true dual straight pipes on an '08 and didn't have any issues. So I think you would be fine.
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What's up Rowdy! I grew up not too far from Pitt County. Does your truck have the DOD? I just wondering about running a turn down with no muffler and going into 4cyl how that would sound.
  5. RowdyZ71

RowdyZ71 New Member

whats goin on there ajarman? yeah it drops down to 4cyl, not very often tho, that whole deal is real sensitive. seems to me like it burns more gas switching back and forth from 4 to 8cyl so often. but yea itd probly sound like the old 4cyl desiel tractors i used to use truckin tobacco haha. right now im running this flowmaster 40 series it still sounds purdy good when it drops to 4cyl. by the way, what you think about them duratrac's youre runnin? i been lookin into them but cant make up my mind on them. thanks guys
  6. ajarman

I love the DuraTrac's. I have had them for about 20k miles and they are wear awesome. The only thing I wish is that GY offered them in more sizes. On the road they have a little humm but nothing a BFG KO would not have. On wet roads they stick like glue. Back home the dirt is more sand than anything and I dont have any issues with them when I do go home to duck hunt. Here outside of Charlotte, the dirt is more clay like and when we do get some rain the DuraTrac's dont clean themsleves very well in reverse and that is the only thing I can find wrong with the actual tire.

A buddy of mine has a 2010 with 5.3 and he is running the Gibson super truck cat back and like you said, it sounds like an old diesel tractor.
  7. RowdyZ71

RowdyZ71 New Member

yea i dont come across too much clay between pitt and hyde county, so they may be the tires i go with when its time to put some more on. where abouts did you grow up out here?
  8. ajarman

I grew up on the boarder of Onslow and Jones county. Little town called Half Moon. I guess there is a few counties between there, but we would always end up in Pitt County it seemed.