Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Questions regarding my truck and a trailer I just bought...

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by wmkess, Feb 4, 2013.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member

Well I might just wire in the 7 blade and be done with it. I'm undecided.

Thanks for the responses though. Now comes the hard part...actually wiring this up correctly. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a tough task as I doubt all the wiring to the brakes is as it should be.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with this 100%.

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

This was my thought as well.

4. steved

steved Former Member

Because it won't work...

You're going from trailer to truck, not truck to trailer...he would need to make a custom adapter. All the adapters I have ever seen sold plug into a 7-way receptacle to give you a 4-way receptacle, he needs to go from a 7-way plug to a 4-way plug. You likely won't find a manufactured adapter because it would pose a safety issue by allowing someone to circumvent the need for electric brakes.

5. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There's no good reason to put 2 trailer connectors on the trailer. The 6 or 7 way blade connector is the proper connector for that trailer, plain and simple. If something happened that involved the authorities or insurance and they found a 4 way on that trailer with trailer brakes on the axle, you're at fault for not using the brakes.

7. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My truck had OEM wiring harness for brakes in a four pin set up for surge brakes, because my boat trailer has surge brakes, and my utility trailer is electric. I added an electric brake controller and therefore now have both plugs. But your situation is a little more complicated since you started with the 7 pin set up.