1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick engine detail how to........ (Engine Detailing Video!)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by VisaliaIPA, Sep 11, 2012.

1. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA New Member

My motivation for this was the best new threrad contest and I decided to make my first you tube video. Its a 5 min long video of a quick engine detail and is something you an do once a month when you wash and detail your truck. I took 10 short videos and made it into one and tried to keep it somewhat short. I'll post some pictures I took as well......

Thanks for watching and hope to do more in the future.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wow great video! Thanks for the shout out in your video! Yeah, looks like you're heavy into Meguiuers (sp) stuff for sure.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Cool Video! I worked in a detail shop for a short time and we used to do almost the exact same thing with nearly the same products. After a few months the owner realized how much money he was spending on engine detailing so he came up with another method. We would wash it down with the hose. Then spray less than half a can of the "no touch" tire foam on everything but the alternator. It worked great and cut the cleaning time in half. Although I prefer the meguiars products I find them kind of spendy.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good Job!!! your underhood looks pretty sexy for an 03':sign0020:
  5. The Heater

The Heater Member

Not sure why, but I couldn't get the video to play. Just a black screen. Can you give me the Youtube web link? Maybe I can go there and look. Definitely wanted to look at what you did, how you went about this. Always looking for a good idea when it comes to a regular maintenance detail of the engine bay.
  6. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA New Member

7. Great job with the video. Definitely will be trying out your techniques the next time I get around to doing the whole wash n wax thing. Thanks for sharing.
  8. Attacksz

Attacksz New Member

Great video! I'll probably do something similar next time I wash my truck.
    I use mostly Mothers brand products, but the Meguiars did a pretty good job.
  9. freddie

freddie New Member

Nice video! This is what i have been looking for. I really want to do this but i am terrified of messing something electrical up as i am not sure of what all to cover up. Nor do i have the confidence to do it right now because my luck with doing the simple things is not good.
  10. The Heater

The Heater Member

Use very low pressure water to spray. Watch his video again if you have to.

I use one of those shut off valves you can put on the end of the hose, turn it down low and have a nozzle on the end of that, so I can control how hard it sprays. I just cascade the water over some areas to avoid water going into crevaces it does not belong, and I don't cover my alternator, I just spray around it (yes, this is dangerous, but it works if you are very careful, the alternator does tolerate water to a point). Cover any electrical parts. If you cover your alternator, car alarm siren and any other obvious electrics with sandwich wrap, baggie, aluminum foil, or painters plastic, you are safe to go.

The more often you wash the engine bay, the easier it is to do it each time. Also, if there is a lot of dirt, DO NOT try to tackle it all at once, just do a little bit the first washing and chip away at it each successive washing.