Quick question about installing subs and amp?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by PureNRG9, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. PureNRG9

    PureNRG9 New Member

    Hey guys im new to the site and i have a 2007 chevy silverado classic.

    The question i have is i want to install 2 12" subs and an amp in my truck, and i dont want to change the stock HU. i was talking to a guy about doing it and he said i may need a "line out invertor" to hook them up to the stock HU. Just wondering so i didnt have to get it all apart and then figure out i need one. Thanks.
  2. cdunbar29

    cdunbar29 Rockstar

    do u know if your stock head has an rca output? and also a remote turn on for the amp...if not then you will need to get the inline. also if you are looking into subs, then a head unit upgrade isnt a horrable idea because most aftermarket head have much better EQ controls and also sub contorls and filters...also, they often have a higher rms, so your stock speakers will push more and also could sound better. not to mention it may look better. if your going to spend the money on the whole sub deal, i think its worth getting the best out of it, and in my opinon the control and quality out of a stock head isnt at par with a not even a really costly, buyt semi cheap aftermarket. ive had my current head for about a year and i still tweek the filters and eq all the time. if you got any more questions just hit me up, i love this stuff
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  3. Crawdaddy

    Crawdaddy All hail the Mad King!! Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

    The factory head units do not have RCA outs or remote line outs. You will need at least one, possibly 2 line out converters. You want 2 so that you can pull both left and right channels into the amp so that any bass instruments that may not be on the left channel as they usually are are indeed included in the bass. Otherwise, the music won't sound right. You can get a remote line power line from your fusebox inside the truck. Just find a fuse that is only on with the key and get a piggyback clip to tie into that fuse location. Easy cheesy.
  4. cdunbar29

    cdunbar29 Rockstar

    there you go^^^^^ just dont run the signal and power inputs next to eachother and u should be set.
  5. bigpoynter

    bigpoynter New Member

    yes your going to need one. it will hot wire into your remote wire(blue) and then you will be able to plug in your rc jacks and the rest of the compents needs to install your system but if you are look for a good sounding system its best to upgrade your headunit due to the fact that yoru going to be able to adjust your highs and mids better
  6. sdpbob

    sdpbob Rockstar 100 Posts

    I would say go with a new headunit, I was gonna leave mine but when I looked into how much it costs to by the converter and everything else it was just about the same as buying a new headunit. It will save headaches because I have done it both ways, after I sold my old car that I did it in the whole eletrical system was all screwed up. So Id just go with the new headunit and save yourself some trouble.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos