1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by AllJaKdUp, Aug 18, 2008.

1. AllJaKdUp

AllJaKdUp New Member

Hey guys I'm planning on getting a 98 Chevy Silverado soon within 2-3 months, and was wondering if I get a 6" Fabtech and 2" spacers would i be able to clear 37s? I don't wanna do a body lift either and was hoping the 6" susp, and 2" spacers would be enough. thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If I remember correctly you cant combine a 6" Fabtech with any spacers, the CV shafts wont take the angle, they'll self destruct. Even though the Fabtech lift relocates the diff it changes the geometry of the front suspension so that the CV's are not located with the same angle as factory.
    If you dont want to do a body lift theres always the option of some careful trimming on the fenders with an air nibbler. If done carefully and in the right places you can clear 37's.
  3. AllJaKdUp

AllJaKdUp New Member

I just dont like the look of the body lifts IMO, so is there a way i could do any other brand of 6" sus. like Pro Comp etc with spacers? or no? If not i'll just do the trimming. lol
  4. tbplus10

No.
    All IFS 6" susp. lifts relocate the front diff. (lower in relation to the frame) when this is done it changes the geometry of the front end, if you add 2" spacers the CV's cant handle the extreme angle (remember CV's are already the weak link in the front end). The results can be quickly worn CV's, shattered CV's, CV's pulling out of the diff, or separated CV's. There is also additional pressure on the ball jonts and they have a habit of failing.
    Truthfully with IFS front susp. I would limit my tires to 35". I know there are those that run 37's and get away with it for a while but they will be replacing front end parts sooner or later.
  5. AllJaKdUp

AllJaKdUp New Member

Thanks for the help! I would love to do a SAS on iit but u gotta take into account I'm a working, starving (or atleast it SEEMS that way) student and all I can afford is a IFS suspension system, so I will just go with a 6" Fabtech or PC and do some trimming. Thanks again!:glasses:
  6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i too would stick to 35's on the IFS front ends. if you do any sort of wheeling with 37's on there you can say bye bye to the CV shafts the second you get on the trail. you will be breaking shafts even with 35's if you do anything hardcore. I would say just get a 2" body lift on top of the 6". i know you dont like the look but hey your gonna have a 6" suspension lift to kinda cover it up too. just my .02.
  7. AllJaKdUp

AllJaKdUp New Member

I wouldn't be doing any hardcore offroading just trails and some mud, not rock crawling or anything, i just cant stand the look of body lifts cuz the tow hooks r messed up, and the towing package is all lower than the body etc.
  8. sheep

sheep New Member

had a buddy that had to go 9" before he coule fit 37s without any problems he has an 2000 sierra, i think the 35s look perfect with 6" but go for it if you can
  9. AllJaKdUp

AllJaKdUp New Member

im going to have the 6" fabtech with Dirt Logic coilovers fully cranked so i should be able to fit them fine
  10. tbplus10

Coilovers are a lot like spacers. You'll run into increased breakage and wear issues with cranked up coil overs. They also affect the CV angles and create problems that break and wear parts faster. If you want tires that large you have to go SAS before you can get it lifted enough to clear without a body lift or trimming.