1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by sierra11, Aug 21, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Member

Just checking to make sure. The best way to run seafoam through my engine is pouring it into the brake booster hose? 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

That is one way. You start the truck and while it is running, pour the seafood into the brake booster line. Once you are done pouring shut the truck off and let it sit for about a half hour. Then start it up and let it run until it quits smoking... And is WILL smoke!!!

You can also run it through the fuel system by putting it in the gas tank. You can also put it into the engine oil and run it for a few minutes before changing it. It all depends upon what it is that you are cleaning.
  3. Skippy

Skippy Member

As long as the brake booster goes into your intake and is evenly distributed into the various cylinders. If you find the booster hose only will cause 1/2 of the cylinders to receive the fluid, it's a no-go and you should look into the spray seafoam that you can inject at the throttle body.

Pour SLOWLY, so it doesn't hydrolock your engine (don't let it just suck it all down at once). Typically, I'll bar the gas pedal somewhere around 1800 RPM (use a 2x4 and wedge it at your seat, them move your seat (power seats are awesome for this). Then pour it in at a rate that almost causes stalling, until the required amount (1/3 to 1/2 can) is in.

Cheers,

Skippy.
  4. sierra11

sierra11 Member

How do I tell if I have to use the spray?
  5. sierra11

sierra11 Member

does nobody know
  6. Skippy

Skippy Member

The booster line going into the intake..> the location tells you whether or not it's ok. If the line allows the air to distribute into all the cylinders, you're good. If the booster vacuum line is only on one side of the intake it's not. (follow the airflow with your finger across the top.... if the booster line point doesn't allow mixing of the fluid and "sucking in" to all the cylinders it's not a good idea (because then you're only putting fluid into a portion of your cylinders). You'll need to move up the airflow path to ensure it works. That's why the throttle body spray works, it guarantees it'll go into all the cylinders.