Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Qustion

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lewisb13, Nov 13, 2009.

1. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

Please forgive me for not knowing this after doing a search. When someone says they have 4:56 gears, what does that even mean? Does this mean they got rid of their 4.10 or 3.73 rear end in lieu of a 4.56 rear end?
  2. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes you are correct!
  3. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

Wow thats crazy, must have to be doing some SERIOUS towing to need anything more than a 4.10. Also, you have to change the front and rear gearing at the same time correct?
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yes you need to do front and rear at the same time. Unless you wont ever use it (but then thats what 2wd are for) or if you run a different size tire front and rear but it would be a big difference. A swap from a 3.73 to a 4.56 isnt that big when going from a 31 to a 35 inch tire. The straight tire to gear ration swap would be a 4.21. Since that is not available the choices are 4.10 or 4.56. I do mostly highway so the 4.10 was my choice since it kept my RPMs lower on the highway. If I did more towing I would have gone 4.56 for a little better power (doesn't work as hard to get moving) but it would have revved higher on the highway.
  5. lewisb13

lewisb13 Member

That totally makes sense. I get what you are saying. You go with bigger tires and it effectively decreases gear ratio so you change the gears to get your stock (or better than stock) gearing back. Hm. Interesting. Thanks for the replies! :great:
  6. LivysMan

LivysMan Member

somthin else you mite wana know, if you have stock 3:73 gears, with stock tire size, in your next to highest transmission gear, for every time your motor turns one time, your tire turns 3.73 ...at least thats what I read, if sumbody knows different, your welcome to shoot me down! lol
  7. Lambasylum

Lambasylum New Member

Close, in your next to highest gear, with stock tire size, if you had 3.73:1 gear ratio, your ENGINE would turn 3.73 times for every rotation of the tire.
  8. LivysMan

LivysMan Member

lol ok that makes sense! and thanks for th correction! :rules:
  9. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

thats pretty cool, never knew that but glad I know now, thanks for the input!