Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rack and pinion leaking?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 14, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys, I recently just finished replacing all 4 ball joints on my silverado and outer tie rods, however while my truck was sitting overnight last night, on the drivers side tie rod there was a puddle of black liquid that was leaking from a small cut in the end of the bellow(the dust boot looking thing over the inner tie rod), i checked my power steering fluid and it is full and the color is normal... I dont know what this fluid is... I dont even know if there should be fluid in the bellow or if maybe its water that accumulated overtime and drained out as the tie rod was hanging overnight...
    should i be worried guys?
    thanks!
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

If your power steering pump is full and you've never had to add any fluid, I'd say it was probably water, since you mentioned a cut in the bellows. You need to repair or replace that bellows. Water and dirt in there can cause some real nasty problems for you.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

hopefully it is just water... i will try to replace it then... how would i know if the inner tie rod is bad?