1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

rack and pinion replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by texxx, Jan 20, 2009.

1. texxx

texxx New Member

I just bought an 03 silverado and took it to a local shop to have front end, brakes, shocks checked. I was told that my tie rods were bad and the tech showed me the play in both front wheels. (380- repair) Took it to a competitor to confirm. Was told I needed entire rack and pinion assembly (800- repair). Any advice help appreciated.

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't take it there, the tie rod ends can be replaced both inner and outer tie rods.

3. texxx

texxx New Member

The first place told me it was only outer tie rods and could be replaced. The second said the rack was leaking on both sides where the tie rods are and the rack also had to be replaced. Are you saying that the rack is repairable with new seals and tie rods?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009