Radar detector in equinox 06

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by sergo777, Jul 25, 2009.

1. sergo777

sergo777 New Member

Hi all!
    Pls give me advice how i can install radar detector in my equinox 06

Thanks a lot!!!...

2. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

The most common radar detectors just stick in the windshield with suction cups and plug into your cigarette lighter.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I mounted my radar detector behind my mirror and wired it into the electrical connector that goes to the mirror. Now it turns on and off with the ignition and no wires hanging down.

4. sergo777

sergo777 New Member

yes i wanna too! how i can connect elictricity? i think need take off cover upholestry? do you have manual?
    thanks

5. Jimmiee

If you have an electronic mirror with the compass it's a piece of cake. If not then You would have to wire it through the headliner.

6. shurshot

shurshot Rockstar 100 Posts

If your detector comes with an extre power line one that is straight not coiled, you cand use that and run it to your fuse block. Kinda a pain but can be done.... Good Luck!

7. RllyDrvr9

RllyDrvr9 Member

Please explain further?

8. Jimmiee

OK. The install is really easy. Take your power cord and cut it so it's about 6' long or however long it needs to be from the windshield to the mirror. Strip the wires and with an ohm meter identify the ground wire. It's the easiest wire to ID as it goes to the center of the plug. Now get 2 male weather-pak spade terminals. You can buy these at radio shack. Any micro spade pin will do. Solder the spade terminals to the positive and negative wires.
    To install unplug the connector from the back of the mirror. With your ohm meter find the ground wire. On my truck it was a black wire. Turn on the ignition and find the hot wire. On my truck it was the yellow wire. Now comes the easy part. Push the spade terminals into the back of the plug in the respective wires. The spade terminals will slide right into the back of the mirror plug. No cutting of the stock wire loom is required. It took me about a half hour to install my radar detector. I ended up super gluing the suction cups to the back of the windshield behind the mirror. They can't be seen from the front as the windshield is painted black where I mounted it.