1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Radiator Connection Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by F E Knucklebuster, Dec 12, 2010.

1. F E Knucklebuster

F E Knucklebuster New Member

2004 Chevy 2500HD w/6.0 Gas

I have developed a seeping leak at a connection on the back part of the radiator.

[​IMG]

Any idea what is involved in taking care of this?

Thanks
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

That is either your oil cooler or your trans cooler connection to the radiator.
    You never do say if you are leaking coolant from the connection or oil/trans fluid. If it's oil or trans fluid leaking, try tightening the connection. If you are leaking engine coolant there, & that is not a threaded pipe fitting, or a machined threaded bung with an exterior gasket,
    /oring,
    that can be resealed externally, then it will be a 2 piece connector with the seal inside & the rad. tank will need to be taken off, & have the connection resealed from the inside.

** Be sure & use a back-up wrench on the large fitting if you are going to try tightening the oil/atf line.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Patman

Patman New Member

definatly a trans cooler line going in there. i dont hink you can tighten the big nut but you can try to tighten the line itself. but it sure looks like its coming from behind the big one... you may need a new radiator my friend. let me know how it all works out
  4. F E Knucklebuster

F E Knucklebuster New Member

It's seeping coolant from behind the large fitting. Didn't know if I could replace a gasket or something to fix the problem. My first plastic radiator.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

OK, plastic tank is the key word. I couldn't tell from the pic. 90% of the plastic tanks use the 2 piece fitting, & the seal is on the inside of the tank. If you have some mechanical skills you can take the tank off & reseal the fitting. You'll see some bent tabs holding the tank to the core. You need to bend these up a little at a time on the 2 short sides, & 1 long side. On the 4th side don't bend them as far as this will be your relocation side when puting it back together. Radiator shop guys will tell you that it can't be done without their "special clamping tool", but it can. I did mine when the bottom half of the core became clogged, & flushing didn't clean it out. The rubber tank/core gasket "should" stay stuck to the core, & don't move it, or remove it if it does, because this will make it easier to reseal it.

**If the tank gasket does come loose, restick it with 3M "yellow" weather strip adhesive before trying to reinstall the tank.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010