1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

radiator drain plug missing

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cindon27, Aug 11, 2009.

1. cindon27

cindon27 New Member

I have a 2006 chevy silverado 2500HD 6.0 4X4 (bought used). I went to drain the coolant and flush out the system but to my surprize the drain plug and hose were not there. I read somewhere that they stopped putting drain plugs into the radiator to save money. Is this true or is my drain plug broken off inside the rad. If so then I'll have to drain it old school and pull off the bottom hose.(which I'll have to do anyway as I have no drain plug.)
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I am not sure if it's missing but I only do mine the old school way. I have broken two valves and could not repair them, pulling the hose is a little messy but easier. IMO
  3. cmcoram

cmcoram New Member

It is sad, but true. My '03 Trailblazer and '04 Colorado do not have drain plugs. Manual says to pull the hose and drain. Its messy, but it works.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

ya no drain plug, cause nothing but problems anyway
  5. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

thats crazy I didnt know they had done that!
  6. cindon27

cindon27 New Member

Good to know its just not there rather than broken off inside. Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing Its not broken.
  7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well that sux, we have to pull the hose off.