1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Radiator drain plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Having owned a few cars, is the 92-99 Burb have one of the most aggravating spots for a radiator drain plug? My 91 was a piece of cake if I remember correctly?

I can see the former owner must have bent the metal back a little, but even then I can't get my hand in at the right angle to turn the plug.

I'm thinking about taking a grinder and cutting an access hole. Or is there some other easier way to get to the pitcock valve.
  2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

I once got so aggravated I used a shop vac to get the old coolant out. From what I understand is it's not a petcock, it's a screw valve with a square hole. I think a quarter inch drive is supposed to fit in it.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I gave up trying to get to those things. The 95 TBI wasn't too bad, just had to pull the charcoal canister. But forget it on 96 and up.

I have a new, better way. I use a piece of narrow tubing/hose, slide it in the radiator down past the trans cooler. Pull a little suction, drain it into a bucket. It's neater, quicker, easier.
  4. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

I had to remove to fan shroud & loosen the bottom shroud to get to the choke valve. Had to use a pair of pliers to get to turn, but be careful not to damage it. They are prone to leaking.
  5. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Should've read this thread before replacing my radiator. The drain valve on my 99 suburban is a joke to get to, and in fact the original valve was busted. Like the idea of suctioning it out. I ended up cutting the lower radiator hose since I was replacing anyways, but it was messy.
  6. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I decided to replace my lower radiator hose, and drained it that way too. Aggravating.
  7. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

The shop vac worked like a champ. I just got a long rubber hose that reached the bottom of the radiator, taped it to the "crevice attachment" and let her rip.
    No muss no fuss.
  8. xamox2000

xamox2000 New Member

Getting to and using the drain plug is ridiculous (driver's side/inside of radiator). I went ahead and removed the lower radiator hose. It make a mess, but would have with the plug anyway. For both I had to remove fan shrouds.