1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

radiator help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nabisco_12, Sep 15, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

well my water is leaking somewhere... possibly from the water pump i need to look more. HOWEVER, please dont bust my butt to much... I went to fill the radiator and didnt see the usual cap..... the only fill spot is the overflow tank? fill me in on how to do this... i almost said f it and filled the tank up :gasp:
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The tank is the only place on my 05 yukon to fill it. Same with my 03
  3. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

ok so how do i know when to stop or just filler er to the top?? lol
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Look on the side of the reserve tank their should be a hot and cold mark fill to cold when cool or hot when hot real easy.
  5. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

thanks! i looked but i guess im blind lol!
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah, my 2001 is the same way. Only place to add fluid is the overflow tank.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is the case with most GM trucks because they are built for towing and hauling so when the engine gets really hot the fluid expands slightly and sometimes if it begins to get to hot instead of causing damage to the radiator and other parts of the cooling system, it just sends the expanding hot fluid to the tank and it goes back in to the cooling system when it cools down. Also it allows to have extra fluid if there is a leak in the system.
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

this tank is a pressurized coolant system storage tank. this is used so that NO AIR will be in the circulated coolant of the radiator. with DEXCOOL air circulating inside the engine would cause problems .

with coolant losses you may find the this is the water pump engine gaskets. this can be hard to see/find. I found that the water pump bolts lossened causing a small leak. I also used a small amount of coolant system sealer [porter seal] 3 tables spoons premixed with some coolant and placed into the radiator not the coolant tank. then top off the coolant tank with no sealer in it.

replacing the coolant is important. use distilled water. replace every 3-4 years or when the coolant gets brown/dark colored. coolant should be orange.

when filling with coolant drain keep the cap off the storge tank engine idling and this will purge the system of air. rev to 2ooorpm until its at the full hot mark engine at the normal temp.

If you need heat in the winter best disconnect the heater core hoses at the engine and then flush out this heater core. for some reason this traps debris and does effect heater operation.

use some air pressure to blow out the flush until clean.