1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Radiator is shot

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by miller57, Jan 11, 2010.

1. miller57

miller57 New Member

My radiator is leaking coolant from around the top oil cooler line (drivers side)
    I am going to put a new radiator in
    MY QUESTION:
    THERE ARE TWO TYPES , SINGLE ROW AND DOUBLE ROW
    I HAVE A SINGLE ROW NOW. CAN I PUT A DOUBLE ROW IN MY K1500 SUB WITH 5.7?
    IT LOOKS LIKE THE BRACKETS HOLD ON THE TOP AT THE SIDES OF THE RADIATOR SO THAT SHOULD NOT AFFECT IT . IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BR CONCERNED ABOUT?
    I DO TOW A 27ft TRAVEL TRAILER DURING THE SUMMER AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BIGGER RADIATOR
    THANKS
    miller57
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I think the 2-row coolers are the same thickness. I'd check the LMC catalog for confirmation on that though, as they list the dimensions of the various-sized coolers.
  3. Willie G

Willie G New Member

Miller - you didn't mention the year of your truck but there are 1, 2, 3, and 4 row radiators available. In addition to that, there are single and double-pass designs as well (these refer to the number of times the coolant travels the full width of the radiator core).

You may want to consult with a radiator maunfacturer regarding your specific needs. I'm getting ready to replace mine and will probably go to a Griffin (sp?) double pass aluminun (as opposed to the copper-brass OEM).

I'd suggest a LOT of research - bigger isn't alsways better in this case.

Let us know what you decide.
  4. miller57

miller57 New Member

i drive a 1998 k1500
  5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Absolutely, the thicker 2-core radiator will fit. It's a dual-pass setup that will cool better than the original, so I'd definitely recommend it. The brackets hold onto the side tanks, which are the same size on both radiators, so no problem there. Just slap 'er in :)
  6. miller57

miller57 New Member

i ordered the single row radiator before i got the last reply
    tried to cancel the order but it was already shipped
    in figured, the single row worked fine so i stayed with the single
    now, how the heck do you get the bottom radiator hose clamp off the hose???? must still be original. I see a gm stamp on the hose
    I bought a new hose and clamps, everything is disconnected except the bottom hose. Do you get to it from the wheel well? I would have to remove a couple of bolts and peel back the inner wheel well cover
    thats the only i see how to get to the hose clamp and hose.
    I FEEL PRETTY STUPID ASKING A QUESTION LIKE THIS BUT I CAN'T GET MY HANDS IN AROUND THE DIFFERENT LINES TO SQUEEZE THE HOSE CLAMP
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
    MILLER57