1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

radiator plug leaking

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by reggiecab2000, Mar 5, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

So this was my dilemma that popped out of nowhere on sunday about 1 hour before I was about to get a re-tune from Blackbear...
    Pulled up to my garage and popped my hood because my dad just wanted to look at my engine bay, I dont know why.... we looked for a few seconds, turned my truck off and walked back into the garage.

LITERALLY 10 seconds later I realized I forget my wallet in my truck, turned around and instantaneously i see a jet stream of coolant shooting up at my hood!

photo 1 (4).jpg

photo 2 (4).jpg

photo 3.jpg

I lost a good bit of coolant in this little ordeal that scared the hell outta me, but found out it was just this little rubber cap on my radiator. (It was obviously very old and dried out, it was very cracked, thats why it blew a hole) I went to a local advance auto parts to pick up a "vacuum plug" and a new hose clamp. Ive never seen this in my life and I talked to a guy at advance to see if this plug was even right to begin with, but he had no answer. So i put back on it what came off and it seems to hold up just fine.

I have a question though... Does anyone know if this is a correct plug to begin with? and perhaps why this plastic outlet is blocked off in the first place?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

On my Truck, I just looked at the Radiator, on the Passenger-Side, there's a Hose, where you have the picture of the Plug, the Hose Runs from there, to under the Throttle Body.

Here's a Diagram the Hose I've mentioned, its number #26

[​IMG]

Side-Note, the Diagram is for a 5.3 Liter, it may be Different for a 4.3Liter????
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. reggiecab2000

hmmm... interesting...
    a blocked off vent hose cant be right, can it?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As far as.....can't be right, I would think not, the next question......is Why is it Blocked off??....:neutral:
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That hose brings warm coolant through the throttle body, to keep the blade from icing up in extremely cold conditions. I also bypassed mine using this method, as my truck is a summer driver only. The odds of the throttle body icing up are slim, take a look at ls1tech forum. They have a how to on this, supposedly the bypass will gain you like 3 hp lol!!!
  6. reggiecab2000

sorry i had to laugh out loud!

But i will check on it for sure...

- - - Updated - - -

do not know....
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The theory behind the bypass is your making the air cooler and denser going into the engine, running coolant through the throttle body heats up the air going into the engine.
  8. reggiecab2000

So, since this is already done to my truck, should I list it as a "performance mod" to beef up my rep? lol