1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

radiator seam leak?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by netminderone, Jan 19, 2011.

1. netminderone

netminderone New Member

My 1998 k-1500 4.3, 229,000 miles just started to drip from a seam below the filler. I just put new water pump in 2 weeks ago. I turned the cap back to relieve some pressure & it stopped. Any suggestion's? will it be all-right? dosen't over-heat. should I put some radiator sealer in it? by backing off the pressure, will it hurt my Vortek? Been snow plowing big time this winter & want what's best for my work-horse, what can I use to quick fix til I have time to put new radiator in it, with out hurting my motor cooling system?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sadly there is no quick fix,
    Sealer will just plug everything up including your heater core
    Low pressure especially with a plow will cause it to heat up more than your temp guage will show and loose pressure.
    IT actually takes less than an hour to change a radiator. And that is the best options especially since your tranny uses the radiator for some cooling and with a plow that is important as well. I live in northern MN and see people with this problem a bit, and there really is no "quick" fix.