1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Radio connection ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 95silv001, Sep 5, 2012.

1. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

Hello, I recently bought a 2000 Silverado and Am planning on putting an aftermarket radio in it. I pulled the radio and noticed two connectors instead of the one that I have seen before. What does this "extra" connection do, and can I leave it unplugged with no problems? There is the one stock connection that I have seen before and another one on the left of the radio. Is this for the security or what? Thanks, Jordan.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Patman

Patman Rockstar

can you take a picture of the connectors... as i recall in my 99 nbs i only had 1 connector... could you be referring to the antenna plug... if so you will need that one plugged in. so yeah post a pic and im pretty sure i can let you know what it is.

3. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

je.jpg it looks like this.. Icould not get a good pic of it in the dash.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

One is for the antenna, the other is the electrical connections.

5. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

I am only talking about the black connection. Can it be left unplugged? I checked, the new radio works without it plugged in. If so can I tape it off?

6. Patman

Patman Rockstar

thats the connector for the factory cassette player that is usually placed in the center console... it is unused un less you have the cassette. who even has cassettes anymore?? hope i could help.

7. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

Thanks Patman, what should I do with the connector as the new radio does not use the connection. Electrical tape around it?

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

What is a tape deck? :lol: Electrical tape should be fine. the pins are actually on the radio side, so as long as nothing gets stuck on the plug on the wire side, you should be good.

(I actually have a turn table that I still use) Not in the truck though.