Radio doesn't turn off?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Still Creekin', Feb 7, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. Still Creekin'

Still Creekin' New Member

Hi All,
    2005 2500 HD I bought used a month ago. Today I came out of the lumber yard and the radio was on when I opened the door. I'd been in the lumber yard a good 30 minutes. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home, same thing. Twenty minutes in the store and the radio is still on when I come out? This is an aftermarket Pioneer w/bluetooth which operated as normal for the first 30 days I owned this rig. Any ideas? The dome light is operating as normal.
    BD
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There generally is door jamb switch that may be not be functioning correctly. The other option is the BCM is not operating as it should. You can disconnect the wires at the door jamb switch and see if that makes the radio turn off etc...then you can jump the wires - if that resolves the issue the switch is bad.

If the chimes wont turn off and the radio wont either - you can trace those wires to the BCM under the dash by the steering column. Unplug the connector with those wires and see what happens.
  3. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What sstoner said is where I would also suggest starting. One more thing to think about is that since it is an aftermarket radio, there are a couple of ways it could be wired in. The right way would be using an interface module. Since the truck uses a computer signal rather than an ignition switched power wire, the interface module could be failing and not switching off. If it was installed without an interface module (a switched ignition wire was run from elsewhere, it is possible that this wire is shorting to a constant power wire. If sstoner's suggestions don't find the solution, I would check these things.
  4. Still Creekin'

Thanks guys,
    I had noticed a few times that the chime would continue for a while until I stopped and turned the ignition on and off. Would this point to the BCM?
    BD
  5. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it comes with a door open message on the DIC, then I would say probably door switch. If it's just the chime, without any other signs that the truck thinks the door is open, then it would more likely be the interface module for the radio, or the BCM. BCM issues in these trucks are pretty rare though, so I'd check the interface first.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

I'm thinking the interface mod. He said his dome lights work normal, that tells me the switch is working normal
  7. Still Creekin'

The dome light works normally. The radio now stays on forever, no matter which door I use, until I go back and turn it off manually. At times the ding...ding...ding... that happens when you start the truck with the door open while loading stuff continues after the door is shut and I drive off. If I stop and turn off the ignition and restart with the door closed the ding stops. I can pull the dash cover pull the radio and have a look at the radio hook up. When I pulled the instrument cluster to send it out the radio looked neat clean and professional, no loose wires, nothing taped together, everything working just fine so I didn't mess with it. What should it look like? Anyone have a pic of the interface module installed correctly?
    BD
  8. Jaele

Jaele Member 100 Posts

Is it the door chime or the chime as if you left your keys in the ignition? The radio would turn off after a specific amount of time even if the door switch is bad. I would check into your I ignition switch.
  9. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This can be easily tested...open the passenger door and see what happens. If the radio turns off it is not the ignition switch.
  10. Still Creekin'

The radio does not turn off no matter what door is opened, or what position the ignition switch is in. I'm leaning toward the interface module and I'll check it as soon as I get a chance.