1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio Radio reception

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Jaele, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jaele

Jaele Member

So I purchased a 2011 silverado back in June. It came with XM radio after that expired I used the FM Radio and I noticed that when it's cold out side I have zero reception. I check the antenna and connection and there is no corrosion, anyone have any ideals???

Thanks
    Jaele
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

You have a warranty, take it back, dont say you even touched, they may try and say you did something while pulling things apart
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

This is actually quite common. Your not the only one to experience it, including myself. There are alot of theories, some say its condensation in the antenna or XM brain itself that once the unit warms up eliminates the condensation.

Since your under warranty I would see if the dealer will maybe have some insight to the problem. It has been a long time since mine has done it..but then again it doesnt get very cold here in Tucson Arizona very often. :)
  4. Jaele

Jaele Member

So I forgot to update everyone on this issue. It took two separate trips to the dealer to find it, and its still going to take one more to fix it. They found a crack in the antenna cable that was getting moisture in it of course they had to order it and then said its going to take 4-6 hours to replace the bad cable. The tech told me he would have to disassemble mos of the dash, go figure. haha
  5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

Well, at least they figured it out and you're getting it fixed. Fortunately I never had that issue and my truck's in the seattle area so it gets fairly cold in the winter. Sometimes it's nice to have that warranty.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Yup, the antenna cable comes from the antenna mount point into the dash and snakes its way to the radio location. Someone with small hands (like me) can work through the vent openings (after removing the vents, of course) to maneuver the cable ... as well as work from the floor up behind the airbag and OnStar unit. However, I've noticed that most mechanics don't have small hands. :)
  7. Jaele

Jaele Member

HAHA so i finely took the truck into the dealer to get it fixed. Turns out the cable was not installed correctly and got pinched when they installed the IP. Some how they managed to cover the bolt hole with the cable and then cut/pinched the cable when they had to force the bolt in. Not sure if this is done by machine or a person either way its kind of strange.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Bleah -- that's atrocious quality control either way.