1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio radio reception

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Feb 29, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

hey guys,
    loving the new server so far!
    so i got a question and its plagued me for a few years basically.
    how in the eff do i get better radio reception in my truck?
    i have an aftermarket HU, and the basic rundown ive been given by people before is that aftermarket HU manufacturers put some much time, money, effort into ipod, cd, bluetooth, cell phone,etc what have you, that most do not put any decent kind of radio antenna filter into the HU and that most aftermarket HU's actually have worse radio reception than stock radios...
    is this true?
    anyway in corpus christi, the radio reception is not top shelf quality in the first place, but my stations put up pure static half the time and it drives me insane...
    any suggestions for improvement?
    i.e. new antenna or something that can help me?
    thanks guys!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I used an adapter to connect my HU to the stock antenna wire and I taped it to make sure the connection was tight. Note that my truck has the antenna delete mod applied to it (i.e. the antenna is under the hood). Even with the antenna under the hood my reception is very close to how it was when I had the only the stock Bose system and the antenna in its bone stock location.
    :neutral:

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

True most Aftermarket radio Co's do not care about radio reception. What you need to look at is the radio's Senativty (Spelling) Other then that there is no real help for it. Some say a Ant booster But most times that will make it just amp the bad noise.

4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

well i know all my wires are tight and secure for sure.
    is there no kind of aftermarket antenna the receives a clearer signal perhaps?

5. redneck70

redneck70 Rockstar

You can always try a antenna booster, personally I've never use one so I'm now sure how well they work but they don't cost that much so it might not hurt to try one and see if you get any improvement.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012