1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Radio Sound

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Westwind, May 15, 2012.

1. Westwind

Westwind New Member

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra xtended Cab SLE-1 with the XM radio single cd. All sound seems to be coming from the passenger side speakers with week sound coming from the drivers side, when I turn the balance to the driver's side the sound becomes very weak, passenger side is strong.
    Has anyone had this problem? Were you able to do anything to correct it? What did you do?
  2. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

Blown speakers, bad or damaged wire, bad connection or it could be your radio.
  3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm thinking it's your radio.
    Blown speakers just stop working, or crack and clip
    Damaged wires wouldn't cause an inconsistent volume issue
    Smoked or dying amp in your headunit WOULD cause those symptoms you are describing. Is your truck still under warranty by chance?
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm... In other words, it could be ANYTHING! LOL! Just ribbin' ya goirge!

yes, most likely weak amplifier chip in the radio. Similarly, it could be a speaker or wiring issue. There may be a low resistance condition that would load the amplifier in the radio and subtract volume, but not a dead short which would cause no sound.
  5. Westwind

Westwind New Member

Played around with it some more today and realized that the driver's door speaker isn't working, this is the door that has been apart more times than I want to count. Dealer has opened it up at least 6 times due to door lock actuator problems and non problems which ended up with the inner panel being replaced. I wonder if a wire came loose or was left off and I never noticed the difference but something it wrong.
    Have to figure how to get the door panel off to check it.