1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Radio/Stereo On/Off Power manual switch won't work

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bleaver, Nov 13, 2011.

1. bleaver

bleaver New Member

Mine is in a 2004 Silverado and has the double height stereo with CD and tape player. I have found the cause of the problem at the inside end of the power push button. On the very end is an electrically conductive, black rubber ring (high tech material) which makes contact with four tiny contacts within the radio itself, thus turning the radio on.

The high tech material of the ring apparently degrades and its conductive qualities fade - it develops a high resistance and will no longer function. I have proved it is the ring by using the nearly identical push button for "display" (below the power button) and its use in the "power" position causes the radio to turn on and off.

PROBLEM: my Chevy dealer can't find the replacement part anywhere (their replacement push button does not have the bumper and ring portion), I can't find what the black rubber ring material is made of in order to replace it locally, and I haven't been able to find any reference to this problem anywhere (I can't be the only owner to have run into this issue).

Anyone have a clue?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would try to call a local Radio repair place. There is a place near Royal Oak, MI called Royal Radio. Most the auto dealers in the area send radios to them to get repaired. They may just sell you the ring that you are searching for. Here is their contact info
    Phone: 248-548-8711
    Toll Free: 800-367-3393
  3. bleaver

bleaver New Member

Thanks for the contact, I will give them a call in the morning.

I tried a local radio repair in Denver and they had no idea what to do - they send radios to a national repair facility now, if the problem is at all difficult. All other local radio repair places have gone out of business apparently.
  4. Pikey

Let me know how it goes. I have never worked with them and am curious to see how helpful they will be. if at all
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. Pikey

What ever happened?
  6. bleaver

bleaver New Member

I went back to my Chevy Dealer (Stevinson in Denver) and it was a light day, so the man behind the parts counter spent quite a while looking for the part and actually called GM Parts but still could only find the front part of the button and NOT the rear part with the black contact ring.
    Dead end at this point - it was not worth it for anyone at GM to dig further and resolve their parts documentation problem.

I am reasonably sure that the black ring is impregnated with a conductive material that is aging and drying up - which results in the on/off switch no longer working. I found a replacement at a junk yard yesterday and it works fine - just pull the Power knob straight off the radio and replace the two piece assembly that starts with the knob itself and ends with small black ring at the rear. Cost me $1.00