1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rain leak-98 Suburban-windshield gasket down wiring??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phoebeisis, Oct 8, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a BIG rain leak on the drivers side of my 98 Suburban. For the longest time I thought it was from the door weatherstripping.

The water pools in that gutter where the wiring runs.Carpet gets soaked etc.

I finally figured out that it is actually coming from farther forward.It seems to be coming down that 3/4" thick bundle(looks like it has electrical tape on it in the1st picture) of wiring that come down the lateral side of the dash-behind the emergency brake mechanism.

I can't tell where it is originating. Can water GET INTO the A pillar from a bad windshield gasket?? The gasket on that side seems to be a bit twisted-not flat-.I can't see any actual hole/defect in the gasket, but maybe.

Is there anyway water can actually get into the A-Pillar from a windshield gasket defect??

I can't really tell where that wire bundle actually originates.

Rain leaks are a pain to locate-sometimes.

Thanks
    Charlie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. phoebeisis

Can the A-Pillar leak rain into cabin-98 burb

A quick question.Can the A-Pillar leak rain into the cabin? In other words is it open under the windshield?

My 98 Suburban-otherwise a great vehicle with 211,000 miles on it,17000 of them mine-has been leaking rain into the cabin on the driversside for years.I thought it was the door weatherstripping.It isn't. I finally noticed that the water was coming from left front.

The water is following a 1/2" bundle of wires that seem to come from a A-Pillar.I can "feel" the water 10+ inches upward to where it sorta disappears behind the emergency brake mechanism.

The windshield gasket on that side seems a bit "twisted" - it isn't flat. Is there any "hole" in the A-Pillar behind the windshield?

Leaks can be tough to find,
    Thanks
    Charlie

3. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I feel your pain. I chased a leak for about two years.
    We put RTV across the top windshield seam, the glass place tried blowing smoke from the inside, I took out all the trim and headliner trying to find trails -- Nothin'!

Finally, when the windshield cracked and got replaced, the leak stopped. The glass place (Auto Glass Solutions) said that the window seal is a double lip design, so that the water comes in at one place, but will run around the channel and come out somewhere else.

My suggestion, follow gravel trucks really close.

On another note; I drilled a small hole in the rocker lip, just in front of the wiring channel, to let out that water that gathers.

Good luck,

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I can't answer for sure, but I'd bet it has to do with the windshield gasket not being flat or twisted. Good luck!

5. phoebeisis

Thanks guys. I like the "follow gravel trucks" but I don't have anything but liability insurance on it-cost just $2950 to buy,so it didn't make sense to fully insure it-not with me being broke.

I'll run some silicone seal in it and see what happens-

I'm tempted to drill that hole-I get quarts of water in there when it rains.Well maybe not quarts, but plenty of ounces!!

Thanks
    Charlie