1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Raising idle

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Jeff Dodson, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

How do I raise the idle, IF POSSIBLE, I'm guessing by adjust throttle position sensor or something,. How do I do that , 99 GMC z71 NBS 5.3
  2. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

So I'm guessing t,here is no way to raise the idle just a tad ????
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why do you want to?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I believe that it is all computer controlled. You may be able to use a tuner or programmer to raise it.
  5. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

It is a bit low. It has a minor stumble but it's only at idle. It's idling about 400 in drive.... It has even died once, not a real problem though... Now check engine lights. I can't find the stumble, it's like a miss, but had the firing check on a computer, does not show a coil missing, new spark plugs and wires....it just seams like the idle is just a tad low
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I believe the only way to really adjust your EIS is through the PCM... which would mean having someone with a legitimate tuning program (HP Tuners, etc) do it, or a technician with GM that has a TechII
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you changed the Fuel filter? Clean the TB? Pour some Seafoam in her and use the spray Clean it up a bit and see what happens..
  8. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

Yea I did all that. Well havnt done the WHOLE sea foam thing, I do need to do that but figured maybe a slight adjustment in THROTTLE CONTROL SENSOR maybe... Maybe not
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

With your Trucks Low Idle at times and now the Check Engine Light is coming-on, I'm guessing that these 2-items are Tied together, you should have your Trucks Computer Scanned, to see what Code is Triggering the CEL to come on.

Regarding the low idle....I would start by checking for Vacuum Leaks.......at the PCV Hoses, Hoses and Connections for the Air Intake System, and the Intake Manifold.....as Vacuum Leaks, can throw off your Trucks Computer,

10. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

I'm sorry, I should read these before I submit, I'd does NOT have a check engine light. I had a guy check the firing on his computer... Does not show any misfiring or weak firing. The truck runs great... Just a little stumble at idle in drive... I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the TBI, have not done the sea foam other than running it through the fuel tank