Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ram 1500 now with diesel?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 2k8z71, Feb 14, 2013.

1. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Came across this and didn't know where to post it, so I figured "The Coffee Shop" was the best choice. Mods please move if in the wrong section. Anyways, I saw this and my jaw just about hit the floor. This sounds like an awesome idea for those that don't need a HD truck but would prefer the efficiency of diesel with the power needed to tow or haul. I wonder why GM didn't intro the new trucks with a diesel option. Sounds like a missed chance for GM. Thoughts? http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/02/ram-1500-to-gain-diesel-engine.html

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

GM has been working on Smaller Diesel's Why they did not come out yet is anyones guess.. Maybe we will see it in the new Silverado's

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think GM is gonna test to see if the consumer likes diesel using the new Cruze and if it sells well they will hopefully revive their light truck diesel. I think its a 4.5l V8 turbo diesel. And it has a lot of power from what I read awhile back.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most the testing for the smaller diesel had been completed a few years ago. I have a close friend that works at GM powertrain and was part of the group testing the motor. He said that the motor passed the tests easily. But, GM does not see a market for it so they put it on a shelf. This happens often. A few years back someone I know at the GM tech center walked into a giant warehouse where they store concept cars and other vehicles that they decide not to produce. There was an old minivan, the paperwork on it said 1981 "ready for production". The minivan, as we know it, did not hit the market in the USA until 1984. Another missed opportunity for GM. They had a van ready to go years before, just decided that there was not a market for them. Ooops!!

5. Conlan Rose

I can't even begin to imagine the insane technology GM has hiding in its R&D storage area. Just based on what GM has created and brought to the market its hard to imagine what they haven't brought to us. Come on they were the first to offer standard electric start and lights in 1911 with Chevrolet.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The things that I hear about from friends and family that work for GM and Ford are pretty crazy. Much of it will never see the market. But, the stuff that does will be pretty cool. The amount of money they spend on someone's idea is crazy. They might spend 5-6 years on a concept, get it to work and then a new executive decides he does not like it so they shelve it.

7. Conlan Rose

I just hope they keep working hard on adding more computer technology and connectivity to the cars and trucks. Its amazing how advanced cars are now. And that GM still after 58 years keeps using the basic small block design to build engines.

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If I could get the 4.5L dmax in a 1500...... I might buy a new truck sooner than later. I guess GM doesn't want my business again. :)

Another issue I have hear which doesn't make sense is that the more diesels on the road, the higher the price of diesel will go. It's already been double what it should be for about 7 years.....

Another reason Ram might be doing this is the fact that the most inovation comes from companies at the bottom of the heap.

By volume, ford sells the most trucks annually, then GM, then Chrysler so, RAM has to pull more hats out of its pocket to stay afloat.

This is the best thing I have seen from them in a while and I hope it **** to GM so GM follows this change in 1/2 ton trucks

9. Conlan Rose

The thing was market research showed that even though the smaller Dmax got much better fuel mileage people were not willing to spend the extra money on diesel fuel. This caused GM to shelve the project. If they had come out with it 3-4 years ago when it was being worked on; GM would have trucks getting 24 mpg hwy (this was an approx value by GM) with that engine. It was going to be an amazing engine and totally change the market.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just thinking we have enough people on this site with contacts in GM that could ask about it. The engine from my understanding is ready to launch and was fully developed before being shelved.

- - - Updated - - -

There is almost 0 info about their new engine... At least when you look up 4.5L duramax you find lots of info.

10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think where GM went wrong is, (I know everyone does not do this) but I put premium in my 5.3L and my engine is re-tuned with a intune for 93 oct.

The cost different between 93oct. and Diesel is around $0.30 per gallon where I live. I get 15mpg in my 5.3L gas. If I get 24-30 on a 4.5L Diesel, that $0.30 per gallon difference for diesel actually works out to my bennefit and I am actually saving money because my MPG's went up between 10-14mpg's.

This isn't some "uber" board certified PHD.... CPA tax math that blew up the housing market bs.

It's just allot of the people out there don't get it. Then you have the oil companies that lobby trying to stop it too. You have engines that get 30mpg's..... we are going to bump gas up to $8 per gallon because for us to be profitable we have to make at least $80 per vehicle fill up at the gas station.....

If people only needed to spend $30 at the gas station per fill up and only needed to fill up once every 2 weeks, guess what, they would have to sell all the stuff that makes them live like kings.....(reality check please) :)