Ram Air Hood on Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by KyleZ71, Oct 5, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good looking hood, it would be a nice addition. Not sure about making the ram air functional though, may be more hassle than it's worth if it's a DD. Bad weather may cause problems.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've seen a couple of trucks around with those types of hoods. Usually presents a mean and pretty aggressive look to the front end. Not sure about the air box issue but it would make sense.
  4. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like it, but as Adam said I'd stay away from the funtional scoop, I've seen them soak a air filter which is near the MAF.
  6. KyleZ71

Yeah its functional, and no it is not painted. Its a fiberglass hood, ready to be painted. Im not a fan of the one scoop because of how high it sits up on the windshield. I screwed my hood up buffing (the bolt on the sander polisher came lose and messed up the side) so was hopping to just replace it with this

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

What do you guys think about these two cowl hoods then? Im leaning towards the second OER T70681 - OER Authorized Hoods - Overview - SummitRacing.com Harwood B-50101 - Harwood Fiberglass Show Series Bolt-On Hoods - Overview - SummitRacing.com
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have that keystone ram air hood on my 05' silverado, and I also have the ram air box for it. I can tell you that it really sucks in the air now, I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it on my edge programmer. The MAF reads almost 3 times the airflow now then it did stock, I haven't had it dynoed but I can tell a difference. I drove it all last year and had no problems with rain snow sleet or hail, BUT it has a huge design flaw that I found this summer!!!!!!! The underside has two holes drilled in it for water drainage that comes through the scoops while driving, when you open the hood gallons of water get trapped inside the scoops and it just pours out all over the engine. It was so bad that it actually froze over the winter, and the heat from the engine melted it fast and it popped the paint right off the side of the hood. I had to repaint and drill more holes in the underneath to fix this problem, other than that I am happy lol!
  8. KyleZ71

Thats good to hear, im now looking at the cowl hood from Harwood. It seems pretty nice
  9. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I love the way the hood's look but i think i would save the money for something else or get a fake one put on and would be really cheap comapred to the aftermarket one. Trust me i have really been thinking about it but i think a fake one with the right paint and billet inserts would look badasss.
  10. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member 100 Posts

That dual cowl looks good, I think it would look pretty good on your truck.