Ram air Vs. Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by walmart player, Feb 22, 2013.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well that would make sense that it's a goodhood, I reread your post and it makes sense about the cracking. Mine is cracking around the corners of the scoop, not to mention the large amount of water that stays in the hood at all times. When I open the hood, water just pours out of the drain holes underneath. Poor design but I love it, since then I have also put the Volant power scoop on it as well. Got it for $20 at Summit Racing in the scratch and dent thing.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Cool beans.. When I got mine It was painted up at Valanca up in the Bronx. Lou there is the same guy who built 3 trucks for the Goodhood ad's and he even sad the Cervini hood was better built.. SBN 2 067.jpg SBN 2 068.jpg Here's some more pics of my old trucks Goodmark Steel hood (Also painted up at Valanca's and here is Lou's Down in Daytona for SBN's SBN 2 072 (Custom).jpg SBN 2 071 (Custom).jpg SBN 2 070.jpg SBN 2 052.jpg

3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have an RKS cowl induction hood on mine... I've noticed some improvement when up to speed (above 40)especially when towing my camper... just seems to have more power. Of course this is only my observation and not dyno proven. :)))

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The butt-dyno isn't terribly accurate... and is prone to observer error.

5. TimTom64b

What one really needs is the cold air intake... in combination with the ram air hood. The colder the air the more power you can build.

6. SurrealOne

How do you figure? A CAI is ideally drawing in air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment. (Even the OEM airbox draws through the fender and not the engine compartment.) So an unducted ram air hood would cool the engine compartment, some, but should have no impact on the air temp of what a CAI draws in.

7. TimTom64b

My RKS ram air hood dumps directly into the top of my air box... way better then just cold air from whatever enters via the fender.

8. SurrealOne

Is the airbox sealed against it or open to the rest of the (hot) engine compartment?

9. TimTom64b

Mine right now has about 1/2" gap between the air box and hood ram air opening. My plans are to install a seal around it... just haven't gotten to it yet. Planning on installing a seal similar to what is used where the firewall and hood meet. Even with the 1/2" gap the amount of cold air coming in would easily displace the hot air coming from under the hood.

10. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You may be flowing 300% more air to the intake, but your engine, if it is basically stock, is not using it. The stock induction on our silverado's delivers more air than the stock engine can use, even at WOT. The stock filter element flows something like 1700CFM, while the 5.3 engine uses a max of around 750 CFM, if I recall correctly.

As for "cold" air, the only significant diff will be when you are sitting at idle for a period of time and the air under the engine is somewhat stable (stagnant), i.e., not moving. At low speeds there is some movement of air through the compartment. At higher speeds, such as on a freeway, your under-hood air temp may be 10 degrees or so warmer than the outside air. Many tuners can be set to measure air temp at the intake. If you have one, try that out and see for yourself. There is just no significant benefit from a CAI on a NBS or NNBS Silverado, both of which have a shielded intake system. This is coming from a guy who used to swear that there were a few extra ponies under the hood after adding the CAI.