Ram Mount or alternative options?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I am in need of a laptop mount for my truck and heard that Ram Mount was like the cadillac of this things. I am calling ram mount today because the few and far between vendors for their products in my state are very wishy washy and have not returned my calls for a quote.

Funny thing is, it seems like all the legit on line retailers are sort of nuts to. the minute you find one at a better price, you have to read the fine print because they way you get the better price is because "Pole sold separately"

That strikes me as kinda funny, unless you are looking for replacement parts, why would you buy the thing with out the pole? Give me a break.

This is a link to Ram Mount's website with the selections for my truck:

http://www.rammount.com/Products/La...aspx#/wizard?Laptop=13&Laptop-1=5&Laptop-2=26

these are the 2 of the 4 options I am looking at:

[TABLE="width: 680"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Select:[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]RAM-VB-131A-SW1
    No-Drillâ„¢ Laptop Mount for the GMC Sierra, Yukon, Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, 2500, 3500, Avalanche & Hummer H2[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Quantity:[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Price:
    $284.01[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 680"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Select:[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]RAM-VB-131R4-SW1
    No-Drillâ„¢ Laptop Mount for the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500 C/K, 3500 C/K, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Sierra & Yukon[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Quantity:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I don't mind the $284 or $251 for the other one, but I can't find a place to buy this that is is honest about what they are selling you without necessary parts missing (Like the Pole?) LOL.

Are there other manufacturers that make a similar product that is just as good without the headache? Where should I look and what are they called?

Update:

Well, I finally got ahold of someone at Ram Mount and I am not sure what to think, the hole process of getting a live person on the phone at Ram Mount kind put me off, but once I got a human, they apologized and gave me all the info I needed to turn the situation around.

So I started checking with some law enforcement suppliers and they said "Ram Mount"? that is like bottom tier stuff.

You need to check out:

Havis

Or

Gamber Johnson

I am still getting info on these 2 brands, but the way it looks, these things are built to last and their websites are a little more "user friendly" after my experience with Ram Mount; but I am sure they are triple the price of the Ram Mount systems too.

You get what you pay for right?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There are some guys on here that have done this before, is Ram Mount a well known brand leader for mobile laptop mounts and computer holders?

3. gear_head

gear_head Member

I use to work at a local cop shop that does cop car builds. Never heard of the comp mount. With all those adjustable arms, I can pretty much guarantee you it is gonna flex a good deal.

The mount I have installed in my patrol car now is the best I have personally used as far as adjust-ability & stability. I want to look tomorrow to make sure I remember what brand it is before I post up. It holds a tough-book and is extremely fast at disconnecting/securing it.

4. PantheraUncia

Cool, thanks Steve and Gearhead,

I want to know what the best quality/cost ratio is. Ram Mount and Jotto Desk are $350 and have been recommended by allot of people on the low end.

Gamber Johnson and Havvis are the "premium" from what I am told that allot of law enforcement uses and EMT's, etc... but then the price goes to between $500-$800 for the mount which is more than I was expecting to spend unless they really don't wobbile at all. :)

I am sort of surprised that no one has really chimed in on this one..... until late.. :-(

5. gear_head

gear_head Member

I don't make my way over here as often unless there is a thread I am following. I can tell you that even the higher end stuff will have some wobble to it. Not a lot, but a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.galls.com/cgi/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=VE221

I don't have any experience with their comp mounts, but their consoles were well liked at the shop. To me this looks a little lightweight compared to the higher end stuff. If you are looking for a good balance between expensive and cheap, I would seriously consider something like this. Do you have the option of installing yourself and avoiding the flakey shops?

6. PantheraUncia

Yeah, that is the Jotto Desk one, but the floor mount for the silverado goes in both front passenger seat bolts and is larger. I would assume that would make the silverado one more stable (larger foot print) at the base.

The price on the Jotto desk seems reasonable about $350 +/- but are they "that" good? :)