1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ramp or jack stands

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by miked1978, Jan 16, 2010.

1. miked1978

miked1978 New Member

Hey guys I 'm not much of a mechanic or anything but would like to start changing the oil in my 04 Silverado myself to save money. Anyways what do you guys think is better, the ramp or jack stands? Walmart sells the 12,000 lb ramp for $45 so i was thinking that would be a little safer than the stands. Thoughts?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Jack stands.

Of course you forgot the option of a 6" lift kit to eliminate any need to support the truck with ramps or stands. :glasses:
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

ramp or jackstands

X2 on the jackstands. A GOOD set of jackstands.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Jack stands would be best.
    You'll also need a decent floor jack and wheel chocks.
  5. wayned

wayned New Member 100 Posts

I use ramps and wheel chocks. You need a jack and stands if have to take the wheels off (If you don't thinks it safe it probably isn't)
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have been using my Wal-Mart plastic ramps for about 6 years, and I have never had an issue with them. Jack stands can fail after time, and we have even had them where they would slowly bleed off and slowly drift down. I put this big truck on them every time I washed it, so I think it can handle a stock Silverado.

[​IMG]
  7. tnhusker

tnhusker New Member

I have the jack stands but I am considering the ramps out of convenience. I will follow this thread to see further opinions.
  8. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

FWIW, on my Suburban/Explorer/BII, I haven't used anything for years. At stock height, I've found enough room to slide under with all four wheels on the ground. Maybe it's just me.

When I can get it on ramps easily, I prefer ramps. However, most cars that want ramps are also FWD, which makes it tricky getting up the ramps sometimes, in which case I prefer a jack/jackstand.
  9. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member 100 Posts

Rhino Ramps, good chocks, and plenty of care.
  10. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like the ramps because they are easier