Rancho vs. Bilsteins

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Macattac3572, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

I am currently looking at 2 different setups and I haven't had the time to research both and don't know which is better. Right now from what I have found, both shock packages are good, just wonering if anyone in the forums are running the shocks that I am looking at.

For the Rancho shocks I am looking at running the RS7000MT series, RS7784 Strut on the front end and RS7198 shock on the rear.

The Bilsteins are the 5100 series, 24-186940 Ride Height Adjustable Strut on the front and 24-186957 on the rear.

I have also looked at the Rancho RS5000 series, but from what I have read, they sit a little lower than OEM shocks.

My OEM shocks are worn out and are now starting to leak and need to be replaced. I am looking for a a quality ride on pavement with good off road handling. Just up in the air on which to get? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My personal experience is that Bilsteins are a smoother riding shock and handle much better on road.
    Rancho's take an off-road beating much better, they have a stiffer rebound that normally helps in off-road traction situations.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! I finally had a chance to ride in a truck with bilsteins. They road really smooth compared to the ranchos my buddy had on his f150.

4. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

From what I have read and heard the Bilsteins are the way to go, was just looking for inputs on the forum. I am leaning toward the Bilsteins, cost comparision wise, the struts tend to be cheaper that the Rancho's.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would search around the web. Shockwarehouse has some of the best prices I have seen. Also Autoanything has good prices.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm running Bilstein 5100's all the way around and am very pleased with them.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

JUst switched from the Factory Rancho's the GM uses on the Z71's to Bilstein's Always a well built shock...

8. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

Ok, So I decided to go with Bilstein 5100s, I installed them this past weekend and so far I am loving the ride. Much smoother ride than the factory setup. Also, what I like about the Bilstien 5100s is that the front strut is ride height adjustable and I have now leveled my truck out to 3" in the front end, which overall is all I want. I have a 2.5" leveling kit and used the strut to give it another half inch.