1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Random Cylinder Misfire...Help!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wanna69, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wanna69

wanna69 New Member

I have an 03 Silverado 1500 V8. It started running rough & idling low. The check engine light did come on & stay on. I had a friend read the code. It said it was a random misfire. I changed the plugs, wires, & fuel filter, & cleaned the maf sensor. I 57K miles on it. What could it be?
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Bad coil pack. I went through the same thing with our Suburban 5.3 throwing the "Random mis-fire code" and after changing plugs, wires, fuel filter and still ran rough, I took it to the dealership and they found it right away and replaced the bad coil pack and it has ran like a champ ever since!
  3. wanna69

wanna69 New Member

Thanks. Is there anyway to tell which one it is or is it best to just go to the dealer?
  4. wanna69

wanna69 New Member

Ok. So I took it to the dealer & they replaced 2 coil packs & added some fuel injectorcleaner. It is still running rough. They told me to drive it & it would get better. I have driven it about 40 miles so far & it actually seems to be getting worse. It bogged down & died on me twice in less than a mile. Luckily I was almost home. Does anyone know if it could be anything else? Should I keep driving it? Thanks for all the help so far.