Random misfire at high RPMs?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Kohen, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Kohen

Kohen New Member

1997 Chevy Silverado Z71 350 5.7L V8
    K&N drop in. Magnaflow cats. Flowmaster catback.
    Getting about 11 MPG at 7200' Best I've ever got was 16.6 purely highway.

Recent full tune up. Wires, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

When I went to change the cap I noticed where the screw would go in is cracked. It doesn't hold the cap down very well at all. So I guess my question is, is this what could be causing this random misfire at high RPMs?

It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I go to get on the freeway and floor it, it will pop up when I'm in the higher RPMs.

The CEL comes on when it happens, then a few days later it'll turn off. So it's not a huge deal. I would just like to get it fixed, whatever it is.

Any other ideas on what could be causing this?

[​IMG]

If you need me to clarify anything or go into depth on something just let me know. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Morning bump!

2. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Theres a good chance thats your problem. Try to pull the code from your truck. You can goto an auto zone and they can read the code for free and give you a print out and let you know what its coming on for. That will point you towards it being an ignition misfire or something else. The first thing I would do is get the code read and go from there. But either way it's a good idea to just fix your dist. cap. More than likely thats your problem though.

Hope this helps, good luck!