1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Random won't start issue.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by grtn316, Oct 20, 2009.

1. grtn316

grtn316 New Member

I have an 02 Silverado 1500. Every few months it will randomly not start. It will crank, start and die. No sputtering just start and die. If I wait about 20 minutes the truck will start and be fine for another 2 or 3 months....

I do have a viper alarm with remote start, not sure if this could be immobilizing my truck somehow. Anyone have this problem before? I've replaced the FPR and fuel filter thinking it was the problem.
  2. Delco99

Delco99 New Member

Same problem....

My 1999 silverado with the 5.3 is doing the same thing. It first did it a month or so ago after it had been idlleing for a long time. I shut it off and went to start it back up a few minuites later and it started, but sputtered and died out. Now, when I try to start it, it acts like it's not getting enough fuel. With my experience with older cars and trucks, this would be a coil or carburetor problem because it only does it when it's hot. But this engine is fuel injected and has individual coil packs, so I don't know what to think. I called the dealer and the tech told me it could be the fuel pump and to have someone to crank it over while I beat on the fuel tank, so im going to try that next. I'm bumfuzzled to say the least:neutral:
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think one of the first things I would do with a no start/hard start would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what fuel delivery is doing. If the pressure doesn't come up to 60ish psi, then start looking at the fuel system. Obviously this needs to be checked when it won't start in the case of an intermittent problem.

Another thing I'd probably do would be to check for trouble codes/pending codes. Some no starts will leave clues in the computer's memory.
  4. scotsdale

scotsdale New Member

yeah, it sounds like a fuel pump on the way out. In my memory they will start getting inconsistent as they fail then one day they just won't run anymore at all. Be sure to let us all know what you find the problem to be!
  5. gmc8100

gmc8100 New Member

I had the same problem and it ended up being the crank position sensor. Very hard to diagnose but fixed my truck.