1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rat Rods? Cool or not? Discuss here!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TELORVEHC, Feb 1, 2012.

?

Rat Rods: Cool or Not?

1. Awesome

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Dumb

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Don't Care

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Well, I was looking at some burnout videos on youtube and came across this beauty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpjPIj1YF0M I realize its a Dodge but it's still awesome IMO lol. I really want to build a turbo diesel rat rod someday. Being a Chevy guy I'll probably use a Dmax motor but this video has definitely inspired me haha. Some people think rat rods are stupid and that's fine, but I can't enough of them. Yes the 32 Ford coupe with a chopped roof and a small block V8 has become pretty much cliche over the years but cars like this Dodge have a lot of character. From the motor to the rust to the suspension and all the little odds and ends on the car, they all add a little something. So, what do y'all think? Yay or nay for rat rods?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm with ya! I know I'll build one, some day. Too many kids at home still, but some day... I like the "real" ones, though - not gobs of money thrown at something to make it look the part. A Buick this, a Ford that, topped of with Chevy power, of course. (unless you have a triple Strom flathead lying around!)
    I have doodled some pictures of my '89 Sierra, which is due up for refurb, missing the front clip, support bars to the radiator, and huge 60's era KW/PB bullit style headlights hanging off the front. My wife already said 'eh, no' , but she's not home all the time :)

I put this one together awhile back. Something looked like it would fit somewhere else, and off I went... This cleared 3 busted projects out of my house, and the kids love it. It's all spare parts except about $1.70 for nylon bushings in the spindles. That's my full size canvas in the background - don't tell my wife...

[​IMG]
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, a flathead would be my 2nd choice for a motor, they got that old school look and triple Strombergs would be awesome. Though you can get a decent turbo diesel engine just about anywhere and there's a huge aftermarket for them, Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke w/e. Plus they make a crapload of power without costing a whole lot (relatively speaking).
  4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

As much as I hate to say it , Flatheads done right are way cool. Offenhauser, Strombergs, split manifolds, etc.