Rat Rods? Cool or not? Discuss here!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TELORVEHC, Feb 1, 2012.

?

Rat Rods: Cool or Not?

1. Awesome

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Dumb

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Don't Care

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Well, I was looking at some burnout videos on youtube and came across this beauty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpjPIj1YF0M I realize its a Dodge but it's still awesome IMO lol. I really want to build a turbo diesel rat rod someday. Being a Chevy guy I'll probably use a Dmax motor but this video has definitely inspired me haha. Some people think rat rods are stupid and that's fine, but I can't enough of them. Yes the 32 Ford coupe with a chopped roof and a small block V8 has become pretty much cliche over the years but cars like this Dodge have a lot of character. From the motor to the rust to the suspension and all the little odds and ends on the car, they all add a little something. So, what do y'all think? Yay or nay for rat rods?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm with ya! I know I'll build one, some day. Too many kids at home still, but some day... I like the "real" ones, though - not gobs of money thrown at something to make it look the part. A Buick this, a Ford that, topped of with Chevy power, of course. (unless you have a triple Strom flathead lying around!)
    I have doodled some pictures of my '89 Sierra, which is due up for refurb, missing the front clip, support bars to the radiator, and huge 60's era KW/PB bullit style headlights hanging off the front. My wife already said 'eh, no' , but she's not home all the time :)

I put this one together awhile back. Something looked like it would fit somewhere else, and off I went... This cleared 3 busted projects out of my house, and the kids love it. It's all spare parts except about $1.70 for nylon bushings in the spindles. That's my full size canvas in the background - don't tell my wife...

[​IMG]

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, a flathead would be my 2nd choice for a motor, they got that old school look and triple Strombergs would be awesome. Though you can get a decent turbo diesel engine just about anywhere and there's a huge aftermarket for them, Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke w/e. Plus they make a crapload of power without costing a whole lot (relatively speaking).

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

As much as I hate to say it , Flatheads done right are way cool. Offenhauser, Strombergs, split manifolds, etc.