1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rattle question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jbopeep, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jbopeep

jbopeep New Member

I have a fairly loud rattle under the hood that only happens
    when It's cold. I say rattle because the tempo doesn't change
    when I raise the rpm. After it warms up it stops. Anyone ever had
    this problem or have any ideas.

All I can tell for sure is It's under the hood. Thanks for any
    replies.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Could be a lot of things, but stopping after it warms might point to an exhaust pipe hitting something.

Could also be due to the engine shaking when cold and getting sooth when warm (if it does do this).

Might be the hood hitting a stop.

But, I know if it was me, I'd have the hood up and be trying to pin point the area.
  3. jbopeep

jbopeep New Member

Thanks Ray.
    I have raised the hood but can't seem to pinpoint the noise. Sounds like from the passenger side. I'll try to get another set of ears. I was taking a shot in the dark that someone's had the same problem. I will take a better listen to the exhaust pipes. Thanks for the response.
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

When you say it quits when warmed up,,,,, as in short warm up time like exhaust getting hot or slow warm up time like the radiator/cooling system.
  5. jbopeep

jbopeep New Member

Short warm up. Although the colder it is, the longer it takes. Hard to explain.
    It sounds almost like a rod knocking as far as volume. But I know It's not that.
    I need a mechanic here when I start it. Oh well. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your response.
  6. Scott_Anderson

I just traded off my old 2000 K2500 WT that had a low end(rod) knock when cold, and even really pronounced when below 0F.
    It had been getting progressively worse over time.

What are you using for oil, Dino or Synthetic.
  7. jbopeep

jbopeep New Member

It only does it when It's cold. Like around freezing. Wouldn't it
    do it after sitting for a couple days until the oil circulated?
    When it's warm, doesn't make a sound.

BTW..... I use regular oil and it's been changed every 3-4 thousand
    for years.
  8. Scott_Anderson

That's sounds strange. I would have thought that if it were crank/rod/cam related to oil issue, the noise would change sound/level with rpm changes.
    Yet you say it doesn't make any difference at what rpm, the noise is the same, other than it's present when outside temps are cold and not present when warm........

If it were an older mid/late 70's I'd say look at the exhaust butterfly valve, or the heat riser tin housing on the manifold.......
  9. jbopeep

jbopeep New Member

Actually it gets quieter when I give it a little gas. Definitely doesn't become faster with more rpm. That's why I don't think it's a rod or something internal. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold.
  10. Scrufdog

Scrufdog New Member

Could it be a solenoid or something that going crazy until the engine is warm?