Rattlecanned my tailgate handle.

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by adampaul1964, Jul 29, 2011.

1. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Decided to try my hand at small parts painting, I'm planning on changing up my door handles, I'm not liking the cheap Putco Handle covers any more. So I started out on the tailgate by painting the bucket first, didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt. I was going to leave the chrome pull on but for some reason it just didn't look right, so I pulled the handle out and painted it too.
    Here's the bucket after the first attempt,
    [​IMG]

Didn't like it so I sanded it and did it over, here it is with the handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are on the truck,
    [​IMG]

I'm still not happy with the bucket so I ordered another smooth one from E-bay so I can get it right, but it'll do for now. I used the usual Duplicolor Perfect Match products, Filler primer, Adhesion promoter, Clear and Color matched paints, I did have to order my color online since Advance in my area doesn't carry Dark Ming Blue Metallic!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Adam.....every-time you do another Mod, it just takes your Truck to Another Level....Oh Man!!!......the Tailgate Bezel and Handle Color Matched......looks Awesome......:great:........I can't hardly wait to see what your Truck will look like with the Door Handles Color Matched!!......Bottom-Line you have build One Classy looking Custom Silverado.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Adam.....what are your impression's of the Duplicolor Product's that you used??....

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Looks good Adam. Try wet sanding the primer before the first coat of paint, then wet sand the first coat and then put your final coat on. I've found this works well for a smooth final finsh.

4. adampaul1964

Thanks for the advice, still learning, trying to figure out the best way.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I forgot to say I use 1,000 wet for primer and 1,500 or 2,000 wet for sanding the first paint coat.

6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Wow, that looks great! Looks like a factory paint job to me:great:

7. adampaul1964

To answer Mike's question, the Duplicolor paints are a great product, the color match is exactly what the label says, "perfect match" and the clear coat goes on really well, I've read where people have had trouble with rattle can clears but this worked really well.

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, I think that looks great! Two thumbs up!

9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That looks great Adam,i think you did a nice job on the handle!